Gunsmith Horror Stories
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmith Horror Stories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I got this idea from a recent thread. I know we have a couple Smiths, so it may or may not be well received...

But what's your worst gunsmith experience? Me, I'm a shade tree Smith myself, so I rarely use them except when hunting parts, so I don't have much experience with them.

I'll copy a post I made a few days ago regarding my hunt for a mag release retainer.

My worst so far is...
I caught a local Smith in what I believe is a lie. I stopped in and asked about MSH's for 1911, and how much a refinish job and/or beaver tail job would run.

I bought a polymer MSH for 5 bucks.

All his refinishing services and beaver tail fitting costs the same, $80. Hmm, I thought, that's... Different.

Then he started touting this "frog skin" finish. "it's the only finish the Navy SEALs will use, and there's only 6 shops in the country allowed to use it"

Oh my. Sounds good. Let me think about it.

So I googled frog skin. Google ain't heard of it. Talked to a buddy, who talked to a buddy, who talked to a SEAL... this SEAL (whom I've met, very briefly) claims they don't have a "special finish" they use. "What comes on their guns has been swell for a while".

Hmm... So I asked the forum. No one who responded had heard of it.

I can't help but feel I caught him in a lie. Now, I wouldn't presume to say it doesn't exist... But the evidence says something different.

Then, I recently lost my mag release retainer from my 1911 (so recently, I'm waiting on the arrival of a new one right now). He was the only guy in town who had one. $20.

I laughed at first. I thought it was a joke. Then I told him, "look, the most expensive one I can find is $7.99. I'll give you ten bucks for the convenience of being able to pick it up here."

Ha. He said no. This is a really good one. Whatever. I walked out.

So, what's your worst gunsmith horror story?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I'll let you know after I visit one tomorrow

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:08 AM   #3

A post from about a week ago, chronicling my hunt for a mag release retainer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Trying to get a mag release retainer...

I can order that for ya...

I cun oder y'un... *spit* Ptiiing!! (into spittoon)

I cud get it in der mail fo ya...

Well, sir, I could order one from Midway, it'll take a week or two... (the only one who would get my business)

Wone me order ya un?

My favorite response? "What's a 1911?"
"you're a gunsmith, right?"
"Yup"
"nevermind..."

Then back to...
"I can order that..."
"Yeah, I can too."
"Uh uh, gotta be an FFL or licensed gunsmith to order it..."
"Sorry, I don't do business with liars or dumbasses."

"got one right here. It'll cost ya 20 bucks, and a nice naked dance" Freaking perv.

Fugg 'em. I may open up my own damn shop.

Gonna order one, maybe a couple of other things, and then start investigating. I'm gonna look into 1911 smithing and see what it'll take. I can do maintenance, cleaning, and repair (parts replacement) no problem. Need to check into the finer points, fine tuning, finishing, trouble shooting.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7624 Times on 4584 Posts
Likes Given: 9513

My worst gun smith story is when I tried to play gun smith. It was disastrous.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
My worst gun smith story is when I tried to play gun smith. It was disastrous.
Hey, I joined just a few days after that happened, and I don't know the whole story! I know the gist of it though.

I've been there. Had to take the little Ziploc baggie of parts to someone. Now, not to try and make you feel bad... But I was 11
I actually figured out by myself, "hey, I broke it. I'll use the yellow pages to find a gunsmith."

He was located in the back of the hallmark store.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7624 Times on 4584 Posts
Likes Given: 9513

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Hey, I joined just a few days after that happened, and I don't know the whole story! I know the gist of it though.

I've been there. Had to take the little Ziploc baggie of parts to someone. Now, not to try and make you feel bad... But I was 11
I actually figured out by myself, "hey, I broke it. I'll use the yellow pages to find a gunsmith."

He was located in the back of the hallmark store.
I refused to take the baggie to the gunsmith. I am terribly, incredibly stubborn, independent. It often gets me into trouble.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #7

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

My worst gunsmith experience... Can't find a single one who's worth a damn!

There used to be a guy in Sellwood Oregon "Suburb of Portland", Dana McAnnly I think? His shop was called DCM Tacticle and he did a FANTASITIC, fair, and quick job of replacing the plunger tube housing on my Colt S80 after the factory re-staking had come loose.

Unfortunately, the next time I needed a smith he was no longer in business...

Tack

Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #8

Liked 2672 Times on 1208 Posts
Likes Given: 2577

Had the barrel shortened on my ruger blackhawk years ago. Picked up the gun came home and realized the barrel wasn't screwed in all the way, ejector rod housing was crooked. Took it back he fixed it. Came back to get it, we test fired and the front sight popped off. He kept it and called when it was done picked it up and the frame was marred from the vise. I just took it and went home. He did do an excellent job on the crown work and the gun is still very accurate. Needless to say I found a better smith.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21984 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i am learning and have been for several years to do more and more on my firearms, simply because there just are not any decent gunsmiths close to me and i don't like to wait for someone to work on my firearms, especially if i can do it myself. been doing lots of reading and buying books on gunsmithing.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 AM   #10

Liked 378 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i asked a local gunsmith what he could do to mount a scope on my winchester 74 short of drilling & tapping it. i didn't want to unless neccessary cuz it's grandpa's old rifle, he never used a scope but his eyes are better than mine. gunsmith looked it over & said "well the gun's in terrible shape so i wouldn't hesitate to drill & tap it....no collector value, no one would want it."

that just pissed me off to no end, i ask for his "professional" advice on what can be done & he tells me my gun is crap & to basically throw it away. the shop he worked in sells guns in much worse condition for many more dollars than my winchester would ever be worth. christ sake, they had a 91/30 mosin for $270. they don't get my money, never will.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch