Gunsmith BS - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmith BS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21905 Times on 12377 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I have a guy up in the Laes region that did my sons 1942 Husqvarna. He is quite a hike, so I was looking closer to home.

He was not replacing anything. He wanted to cut and hack. BTW, that price incuded no bases, rings, or scope.

I'll just shoot the rest of the box of Norma ammo and add it in to the mix. All I use is Norma brass in this rifle

I was concerned about a nick, slight muzzle erosion, but I have measured it w/ a caliper and it is pretty good.

285gr GC cast lead and 286gr JSP shoot really well. The 232gr when it keyholes is almost the same size as a normal 9.3 hole. I think the ballistics of that bullet are like a patched round ball. W/ a 286gr partition at 2100fps it has 2390fpe at 100 yards and at 200 yards 2015fpe. The express sights are 150 yard sights, so it is about 1.7" high at 100 and 2" low at 200 yards. The Rifle weighs less then 6.5lb, so it is the perfect rifle If you track and stalk. Action is as smooth as glass as is the trigger. There is no recoil to speak of.
The hack will never touch it. Thanks guys!
JP, i concur, that this person, (notice i didn't say gunsmith!) should never touch that rifle. he would do damage that could never be repaired without costly replacement. from the way you descibed the situation, i would look into experimenting with different bullets.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

The reason I said that he was quoting the catalog is because in mine there are a couple of pages that give the average gunsmithing prices for everything from man hours to stock and metal work and his were on the high side of them. And thats why I said that. Just for clarification

Old 09-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #13

Liked 730 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
The reason I said that he was quoting the catalog is because in mine there are a couple of pages that give the average gunsmithing prices for everything from man hours to stock and metal work and his were on the high side of them. And thats why I said that. Just for clarification
I did not know that!! Glad to know he may be able to read!! To be honest, I was scratching my head a bit!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah its kinda nice to know what prices are. They are high but for my little community I just charge what I want I'm not outrageous with prices like that tho and I won't tell you that I'm going to do this until I've had a chance to look at it, and them I'll usually cal them and let them know what I believe it is and what I'll charge and if they dont want to spend that I may throw in a free cleaning if that doesn't work I'll tell them thats fine no hard feelings. And if I don't gave the knowledge or capabilities I refer them to someone who might. This isn't my primary source of income I do it for fun and alittle side money and to offer a service that doesn't cost an arm out a leg.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #15

Liked 78 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Glad you found out PRIOR to heartburn and sorrow.

The keyhole problem sounds like twist and possible bore diameter mis-match. Are the bullets that are not stabilizing longer than the ones that do stabilize? (I know they're less weight, but that doesn't always follow, depending on shape.)

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/