Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Gunsmith BS (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/gunsmith-bs-72153/)

jpattersonnh 09-10-2012 12:36 AM

Gunsmith BS

I talked w/ a Smith about my 1943 Husqvarna 9.3x57. It keyholes at 100 yards w/ 232ge bullets. All i've shot in 232gr are Norma loaded ammo. It shoots perfectly w/ 285gr cast lead and 286gr jsp. He told my I had serious work that had to be done. He would have to remove the front sight, cut the barrel back 1.5" and recrown it. He also stated he could not reuse the front sight and recommened removing the rear express. He said drilling and tapping for a scope was the best option. $80.00 to cut the barrel, $85.00 to recrown, $20.00 each for sight removal, and $40.00 per hole to drill and tap, and 120.00 to refinish it. I asked why. His comment was it may have damage to the muzzle. It may have??? I asked why it shot heavier bullets awesome. Just a fluke was his response. I asked if the twist combined w/ the lack of bearing surface could be the issue. Could be, but I doubt it. So needless to say without sluuging the barrel, or even taking out calipers, my rifle would have to be hacked. I asked if he works on many Mausers. His response was not really, no one shoots them anymore, if it was an AR he could fix it in a jiffy. This Moron is a Smith?????

$485.00 to butcher a rifle he knows nothing about. He had no clue as to how the bolt was broken down. Could not figure out why the bolt would not close, Hmm, no ammo and the follower restricts the bolt. I'll just keep it as is and hunt this fall.

c3shooter 09-10-2012 01:22 AM

You need to hunt......... for a gunsmith. You don't have one right now.

sdiver35 09-10-2012 01:22 AM

Yikes that is terrible!

slim325 09-10-2012 01:30 AM

Sounds like my sister in laws mechanic

Deuce 09-10-2012 02:16 AM

I guess I'm not understanding why you took it to get looked at, could you please explain some more, I'm sorry.

But from what it sounds like is he is just basing his prices off of brownells catalog and not his actual ability.

Which is stupid how does he have any repeat customers?

JonM 09-10-2012 02:29 AM

my bcm ar15 will keyhole super light varmint type bullets. its got everything to do with twist rates and as you said bearing surface and bullet weight. im no authority on mausers but the same principles apply. nothing wrong with your gun just the wrong bullet weight.

hiwall 09-10-2012 02:34 AM

you were also right about slugging the bore. the bore sizes do vary and could cause the keyholing.

Axxe55 09-10-2012 03:22 AM

two things come to mind, one the guy is an idiot and not a gunsmith! two, try out a different brand of bullet in the weight you want to use or continue with the weight you are using if they work. it could be the barrel twist is affecting the bullets in the lower weight range.

superc 09-10-2012 03:46 PM

Mail order gun smith license. I've seen it before. They send a check in to ATF, no skill test or quiz required (which is something I would like to see changed in this system, maybe at the State level?) and get the license and open a shop. They usually last a year or two. The warning indicators of their being about to go out of business is a) word of mouth, b) their company name starts appearing on the court house civil dockets, c) the tax man padlocks the door, d) individuals you think shouldn't be allowed into the store start hanging around (I've know of one such place where in desperation the store started allowing sales he shouldn't have of guns he 'forgot' to record, just before his doors got padlocked, yes he got in trouble, so what? Bad guys now had guns).

I brought a very old Colt into one of those guys once. New gunsmith shop in town and I had a timing issue. "Sure, no problem, I can have it fixed next week. Probably about $100." So I dropped it off. Not being able to find an exact match in his API videotape library he then took it apart to try and figure out how it worked. His hardware store screwdriver buggered the screws. Then he had a few beers after hours and lost some of the parts. Five weeks later I forced him to return the gun and he gives me a frame and a bag of parts, but not the now missing parts. It was an expensive lesson. It is learned.

jpattersonnh 09-10-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 934907)
You need to hunt......... for a gunsmith. You don't have one right now.

I have a guy up in the Laes region that did my sons 1942 Husqvarna. He is quite a hike, so I was looking closer to home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce (Post 934974)
I guess I'm not understanding why you took it to get looked at, could you please explain some more, I'm sorry.

But from what it sounds like is he is just basing his prices off of brownells catalog and not his actual ability.

Which is stupid how does he have any repeat customers?

He was not replacing anything. He wanted to cut and hack. BTW, that price incuded no bases, rings, or scope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 934988)
my bcm ar15 will keyhole super light varmint type bullets. its got everything to do with twist rates and as you said bearing surface and bullet weight. im no authority on mausers but the same principles apply. nothing wrong with your gun just the wrong bullet weight.

I'll just shoot the rest of the box of Norma ammo and add it in to the mix. All I use is Norma brass in this rifle

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 934995)
you were also right about slugging the bore. the bore sizes do vary and could cause the keyholing.

I was concerned about a nick, slight muzzle erosion, but I have measured it w/ a caliper and it is pretty good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 935033)
two things come to mind, one the guy is an idiot and not a gunsmith! two, try out a different brand of bullet in the weight you want to use or continue with the weight you are using if they work. it could be the barrel twist is affecting the bullets in the lower weight range.

285gr GC cast lead and 286gr JSP shoot really well. The 232gr when it keyholes is almost the same size as a normal 9.3 hole. I think the ballistics of that bullet are like a patched round ball. W/ a 286gr partition at 2100fps it has 2390fpe at 100 yards and at 200 yards 2015fpe. The express sights are 150 yard sights, so it is about 1.7" high at 100 and 2" low at 200 yards. The Rifle weighs less then 6.5lb, so it is the perfect rifle If you track and stalk. Action is as smooth as glass as is the trigger. There is no recoil to speak of.
The hack will never touch it. Thanks guys!