Gunsmith apprentice question - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmith apprentice question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshield67
Yea the only way to be a gunsmith is online and only one I know of where you actually have any hands on at all is Sonoran Deserts Institute
What do you mean the only way is online, there are actual hands on schools taught by people that have made a living as gunsmiths out there. It requires a great deal of commitment to pack up and go to a school but it is a totally different learning experience than you receive online. It's like a apprenticeship to multiple gunsmiths with all the tools and gadgets.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #22

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrwe

What do you mean the only way is online, there are actual hands on schools taught by people that have made a living as gunsmiths out there. It requires a great deal of commitment to pack up and go to a school but it is a totally different learning experience than you receive online. It's like a apprenticeship to multiple gunsmiths with all the tools and gadgets.
Trinidad comes to mind

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 03-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #23

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Myself I'm partial to Murray State College in Tishomingo, OK but I went there so I am biased, my partner in my last Gunshop went to Trinadad and he seemed partial to that school.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #24
rmw

I went to Lassen so of course it's the best

Gunsmithing is such a diverse field I think it would be hard to call any one school the best , Do you want to be a good stockmaker , custom rifle guy , custom pistol guy, then are you going to do autos or revolvers . Do you want to be the fine shotgun guru or a general repair guy catering to hunters and the mere mortal man . No one guy is going to be the best at it all or be able to teach it all .

Went I went to Lassen our head instructor was a fantastic repair guy , he could make any gun run but if he was grinding a recoil pad you could smell the wood burning a mile away, but we had another guy who was a fantastic stock maker and engraver for that . I once watched Duane Wiebe turn a stock blank into a 80% stock in about a half hr with a table saw and a drill press , it was impressive . So it will also let you know who your competition will be. I never had a big desire to be a custom stock maker and that taught me I probably shouldn't try

I guess my point is if you want to be well rounded/exposed to allot of different things go to a school , very few shops will be that diverse . If you want to specialize you might be better off to apprentice . But I do not know if there is any accreditation for it. I don't think any of the states around where I live have it so you may never get a card like an electrician or tool & die maker, etc

Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #25

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw
I went to Lassen so of course it's the best

Gunsmithing is such a diverse field I think it would be hard to call any one school the best , Do you want to be a good stockmaker , custom rifle guy , custom pistol guy, then are you going to do autos or revolvers . Do you want to be the fine shotgun guru or a general repair guy catering to hunters and the mere mortal man . No one guy is going to be the best at it all or be able to teach it all .

Went I went to Lassen our head instructor was a fantastic repair guy , he could make any gun run but if he was grinding a recoil pad you could smell the wood burning a mile away, but we had another guy who was a fantastic stock maker and engraver for that . I once watched Duane Wiebe turn a stock blank into a 80% stock in about a half hr with a table saw and a drill press , it was impressive . So it will also let you know who your competition will be. I never had a big desire to be a custom stock maker and that taught me I probably shouldn't try

I guess my point is if you want to be well rounded/exposed to allot of different things go to a school , very few shops will be that diverse . If you want to specialize you might be better off to apprentice . But I do not know if there is any accreditation for it. I don't think any of the states around where I live have it so you may never get a card like an electrician or tool & die maker, etc
Honestly I would like to be a pistol smith, doing repair and custom work. I would mind my name being known for one of the finest pistol smiths

Old 03-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig

Honestly I would like to be a pistol smith, doing repair and custom work. I would mind my name being known for one of the finest pistol smiths
Thats a hellacious goal. No offense but id have to see some of your work. Iv seen some of the best in the US over the years and thats some damn good work

Old 03-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

Thats a hellacious goal. No offense but id have to see some of your work. Iv seen some of the best in the US over the years and thats some damn good work

Hey man its a dream, never said its a done deal. I was just saying thats where I wanna be

Old 03-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #28

Quote:

Hey man its a dream, never said its a done deal. I was just saying thats where I wanna be
Ya and im just tellin you it either takes ALOT of years experience or uncommon skill at all things required to make a gun.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

Ya and im just tellin you it either takes ALOT of years experience or uncommon skill at all things required to make a gun.

Well I did notice how easily I understood them, im a perfectionist so I think I could come close to my goal

Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #30

Quote:

Well I did notice how easily I understood them, im a perfectionist so I think I could come close to my goal
Then you have the makins then maybe