Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Guns that were in a house fire.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Guns that were in a house fire.

I acquired some long guns that were in a house fire a few years ago. I am in the process of removing the rust by the electrolysis rust removal system. My question is, what to do with the wood. Hardly any burn marks, but all the wood has that dried, brittle look, and feel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. S.Bear,you, and Ruger Mike, I really look toward advise on this topic. Thanks in advance.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2009, 01:54 AM   #2

Liked 371 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1024

check out this website they have some guns that went through a fire they restored, not real sure what they did but they look good it might give you some tips HOME PAGE

Old 09-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You'll have to strip it down all the way to bare wood 1st. DON'T get "happy" with the sandpaper to start with-use stripper. I'd use Certistrip from Brownells. You might have to repeat the process 2-3 times to get ALL the finish off. Try to not sand the checkering as it'll then be flattened & need touching up. CAREFULLY sand the majority of the burnt marks off. Don't try to go too deep or you'll have a sunken in place. Minor burn marks will become less noticeable once you fill the grain & stain it in preparation to refinishing. A couple very minor burn marks will give the stock character. Are you wanting to hand rub finish or spray on? Let me know so I can help you with the finish part.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Thanks all for the info-Keep it comming!!

Thanks for the info. Bear, when I get to working the wood, I would like to hand rub.-probably Tung Oil??-Not sure==help me out. This is the thing: I got 10 long guns on this package deal. I think I can save 1/2 to 3/4 of them?? Figure it will make for some good winter projects.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8428 Times on 3655 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Very rough rule of thumb I was taught by a smith I deeply respected- if there is a burn mark on the wood anywhere close to the action, the heat treatment and temper of steel is in question- and the answer to the question is DON'T.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #6

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Perhaps what we need are some pictures? They couldnt hurt anyways.

I agree with SBear on the idea of leaving some of the burn marks in the wood. I imagine it would make for a very unique looking firearm.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

get rid of the stocks and get new ones. you can get unfinished laminate wood stock sform Richards for as little as $79.