Guns & Dremels - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Guns & Dremels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4525 Times on 2252 Posts
Likes Given: 1017

I've polished bolts with a dremel... Hmm... Maybe I shouldn't have.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
snip.. just dont ever do something stupid like putting a dremel to anything engraved on a gun part.)
Except when you yourself are who messed up the engraving YOU made of your driver's license #, or how your name is spelled.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #13

A dremel is one of the handiest tools I have!

I once removed a bur from the ratchet of a Rossi .357 because it would hang up while firing DA. I would also use a cotton bob and polishing compound to slick up the sides of the trigger group on some "less expensive" revolvers to get rid of the "sand in the teeth" feel...

...besides, what ELSE am I supposed to use to grind off serial numbers of guns I get from my more scrupulous customers??? (Kidding, KIDDING!!!)

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dremels have caused just as many problems as they have solved. Dremel's are like a gun in a certain respect. Either in the hands of a moron or unsteady hands can end horribly, on the other hand in the hands of a comptent steady handed person it can come out with a wonderful result. I use a dremel on some things, but I never work on anyone else's guns with the dremel if I can help it. regardless of what I'm working on I'm extra careful because I know how easily it is to screw something up. I've never worked on any critical parts with a dremel, that's reserved for hand work because I always want to do it right and not cut corners (metaphorically and litterally).

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #15

I think there is something to be said for using a dremel on SOME parts of a gun...like the stock. My aftermarket 10/22 stock was tight in the magwell area, so i hit it with a few passes from the sanding barrel. I don't consider this at all risking the integrity or safety of the weapon, and it solved the problem. I know my limitations, and would never consider using my dremel on internal parts. just my $.02.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:35 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I once tried to polish some stainless with a dremel. I was very dissapointed in my dremel abilities. I put it away and have not used it since.

Dremel in the hands of an amatuer = disaster if you ask me. Kinda like Nike but different....just don't do it.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:19 AM   #17
lkd

I have a Dremel that I use appropriately. Nothing more to say about that.

I think the key message here is the old adage: A Fool with a Tool is still a Fool.