Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Gun will not bore sight???????? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/gun-will-not-bore-sight-61792/)

upssmann 04-04-2012 04:34 AM

Gun will not bore sight????????

Had work done on my Leupold and now have it back from Leupold and the scope will not bore sight, gun smith tells me it dosent have enough windage adjustment to bore sight? they tried a new scope just like mine and the same think that one will not bore sight either ? he looked at mounts and rings and he gets the same results, the gun has had the scope sighted in before it was taken off and sent away , so im pretty much lost of what could be causeing this ?????

DD1 04-04-2012 04:36 AM

What style of base or bases are you using?

Durangokid 04-04-2012 04:47 AM

This is not uncommon if you are using a bore sighting device. I would take the rifle to the range and set up a target at 28". Zero the rifle by firing at close range. I think you will find you have enough windage and elevation control. :)

hiwall 04-04-2012 04:47 AM

might still sight-in even though you can not bore-sight it. Try shooting it before you get to excited.

upssmann 04-04-2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durangokid (Post 761082)
This is not uncommon if you are using a bore sighting device. I would take the rifle to the range and set up a target at 28". Zero the rifle by firing at close range. I think you will find you have enough windage and elevation control. :)

thanks will try

upssmann 04-04-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD1 (Post 761072)
What style of base or bases are you using?

The bases are Leupold and the rings also are Leupold

DD1 04-04-2012 02:17 PM

Unless they're dual dovetail or the Wal Mart Rifleman series, there sure be more than enough rough windage adjustment with the rear ring. The rear ring is secured by windage adjustment screws, allowing the scope's internal adjustments to be reserved for precise sight-in. Additionally, shims can be used for gross elevation adjustment, reserving the scope's elevation adjustment for bullet drop compensation dial applications.

upssmann 04-05-2012 04:30 AM

The gun smith called me and had gotten the scope to adjust the way it is suppose to, he said he tapped the scope adjustment knobs, it seemed that the scope cross hairs were sicking , he tapped on them and now it has all the adjustment it needs took to the range and the gun shoot just fine, thanks for help ....

Durangokid 04-05-2012 06:07 AM

I have to wonder about a gun smith that does not know to tap a turret. This is the second thing any rifleman does after changing a scope setting. Yes you can depend on recoil to reset the cams. A tap to the turret is part of our early training. Good Luck.:)

Durangokid 04-05-2012 06:09 AM

I would wonder about this gun smith?:confused: