Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > gun storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default gun storage

What is the best way to store guns and ammo so that they don't get rusty over time and hold up well? Does ammo eventually stop working?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

ammo..... cool, and dry

I have fired 25 year-old ammo with absolutely no issues whatever.

Guns.... cool and DRY... with emphasis on DRY with a light film of a high quality gun oil on them. Some will disagree, but I don't count WD-40 as a gun oil. If you don't have a humidity-controlled environment for your guns, you can use dessicant packs, or a small light bulb to reduce the moisture.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 10-17-2007, 12:11 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I fired the last of my GI surplus -06 stuff head stamped DM42 a couple of years ago. At 63 years of age, only a couple of years younger than me at the time, it worked so good it made me jealous!

Old 10-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #4

I stored my 10/22 about 20 years ago after a thorough cleaning and a light coating of Rem oil in a soft-sided gun case. I took it out a few months ago and fired several hundred rounds through it, and it worked as well as it did when it was new. It also looked fantastic.

About old ammo, I had a .22LR brick and several CCI plastic boxes from 1987 that were stored in a military ammo can, and they all shot like they were new.

For my WWII Russian M44, I shoot surplus 7.62 x 54R ammo. Some are Czech "Silver-Tip" dated 1967 and the others are Russian rounds dated 1953. There have been no problems with any of that ammo, and they still pack a shoulder bruising wallop!

Old 10-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #5

Default Long term storage:

Birchwood-Casey makes a spray called Sheath for guns, spray on, wipe off, keeps from rusting.

Kroil is another great anti-rust spray, even sili-kroil contains silicone.
available from www.kanolabs.com

Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
. Some will disagree, but I don't count WD-40 as a gun oil.
I definitely would NOT disagree with that statement.

In a test for the FBI back in the 90's it was shown that WD-40 will "creep" 24 inches in 24 hours, making it possible for a service sidearm, treated with WD-40, to have the super lubricant seep into a round chambered in the weapon and cause a malfunction. That was enough for me, I haven't used WD for anything firearm related since then.

D

Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #7

As far as I know, ammo doesn't 'stop working'. I store my pistols in a biometric fingerprint safe, only 109.99 off ebay. I purchased it only a few months ago, but I am very happy with the safe. If anyone is interested, the listing is 'Biometric Fingerprint Gun Pistol Safe keyless new NIB'

Old 12-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5334 Times on 2784 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by john55555 View Post
As far as I know, ammo doesn't 'stop working'. I store my pistols in a biometric fingerprint safe, only 109.99 off ebay. I purchased it only a few months ago, but I am very happy with the safe. If anyone is interested, the listing is 'Biometric Fingerprint Gun Pistol Safe keyless new NIB'
if your wanting to sell your safe try the firearms/accessoories section

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-20-2010, 02:49 AM   #9

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Cool & dry is the way to go.
Put the ammo in 30cal or 50cal ammo cans, this will prevent the ammo from being exposed to any accidental water leaks.
Your firearms need to be clean & heavily oiled (not with WD-40) with a good gun oil, and sealed in plastic, the vacuum food saver bags work good because they come on rolls and can be cut to the right length.
It is not necessary to vacuum it down to seal but it wouldn't hurt.
If you vacuum seal the firearm wrap all sharp edges to keep them from poking through the plastic.