Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Gun Smithing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/gun-smithing-69437/)

Nighthawk63 08-02-2012 03:40 AM

Gun Smithing

I have a shop in my barn where I work on firearms for people that live around me. I am willing to work on anyones firearm who is a member here. I am willing to work on firearms if you donate the proceeds that I charge to our group. I am bonded to work on firearms and I have insurance. I will only perform legal changes to firearms. No illegal alterations allowed or wanted. Drop me a line and I will send you my phone number and address if you need any type of work done. Thanks

BrooklynFaTs 08-03-2012 01:05 AM

Wats up nighthawk I have one question can you help me with I have a remington 44 cal cap and ball gun is it possible to get another cylinder to shoot regular shells through the gun it has a rifle barrel on it I think it is a 8 inch barrel don't no how old it is any feed back you can give me would be great thanks a lot

mountainman13 08-03-2012 01:36 AM

Is it a stainless frame?

BrooklynFaTs 08-03-2012 03:12 AM

Ya I guess its a little heavy its got a nice octagon barrel I just wanna no if I could get another cylinder for regular shells

mountainman13 08-03-2012 04:25 AM

Should be doable

BrooklynFaTs 08-03-2012 04:35 AM

I would send a picture but I don't no how thanks for the feed back

St8LineGunsmith 08-04-2012 11:01 AM

drop in cylinders for cowboy loads are available for the 1858 Remington's
if it has a brass frame you don't want to use a conversion cylinder due to brass will stretch in time with repeadted firing of cowboy loads
regardless whether it is mild steel or stainless steel is perfectly fine for using a conversion cylinder.

St8LineGunsmith 08-04-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynFaTs (Post 891406)
I would send a picture but I don't no how thanks for the feed back

easiest way to upload a pic is when you open the reply window scroll down to the manage atatchments button and click on it,
click choose files button and select the files you want to upload from your computer if you want to upload pictures go to your my pictures file then select the picture you want to upload then click the upload button.
you can also create a photobucket account and upload your picturesto it thenyou can copy and paste the link to the reply to message window.

BrooklynFaTs 08-04-2012 02:52 PM

Thanks a lot I'll try it soon

Nighthawk63 08-04-2012 10:46 PM

Conversion

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynFaTs (Post 891124)
Wats up nighthawk I have one question can you help me with I have a remington 44 cal cap and ball gun is it possible to get another cylinder to shoot regular shells through the gun it has a rifle barrel on it I think it is a 8 inch barrel don't no how old it is any feed back you can give me would be great thanks a lot

After cartridges came out many people converted their cap and ball to take cartridges. It can be done to many of the cap and ball pistols as long as there are no stress cracks in them. The barrels of the older guns are thicker and can take the pressure of new cartridges. Send me pictures of your cap n ball.