gun parts cleaner
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > gun parts cleaner

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
hay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Default gun parts cleaner

what do you all use to clean gun parts? i mean the small inaccessible parts of the action, not the barrel. i was using birchwood casy brand Gun Scrubber in the aerosol can, but i ran out late on a sunday evening, so i used some brake parts cleaner i had in the shop. what, if any, is the difference between gun scrubber and brake parts cleaner beside the price? they both clean good and dry fast and both will take off any paint or varnish finish on wood or metal. is there something else i am missing that would be better for 'power' cleaning small areas on an occasional basis? thanks.

__________________
hay is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lebanon,Ky
Posts: 3,621
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

The only difference, since they quit using tricholerethene is price. I've been using china-mart brake part cleaner for several years now, just BE SURE to keep it away from finished wood stocks as it WILL raise/seperate the finish.

__________________
stalkingbear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maple Valley Wa.,Washington
Posts: 11
Default

one other thing to remember when using any chemicals to clean weapons try to keep it off your skin. Some chemicals can be absorbed thru your skin, I found this out the hard way and got sicker than a dog for a couple days!

__________________
pirate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The only difference, since they quit using tricholerethene is price. I've been using china-mart brake part cleaner for several years now, just BE SURE to keep it away from finished wood stocks as it WILL raise/seperate the finish.
+1 on the brake cleaner.

And ditto on the metal only!!

cane
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate View Post
one other thing to remember when using any chemicals to clean weapons try to keep it off your skin. Some chemicals can be absorbed thru your skin, I found this out the hard way and got sicker than a dog for a couple days!
PSA......***NOTICE***.......PSA

Practice safe gun cleaning, use a rubber....................glove.

cane


__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Be absolutely sure that you oil all metal parts very well after using Brakleen on them. It'll eat the oil out of the metal.

__________________

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:41 AM   #7
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 17,189
Liked 9567 Times on 4116 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Default

Sometimes you're trying to wash out some of the grit/crud, but don't want to take that maze/ puzzle of springs, little bitty pieces parts apart, so......
1. Gunscrubber 1a. Spray brake cleaner 2. Soak in low flammability solvent, scrub as best you can

And then there is method #3- sometimes combined with above. I take my $1 Water Pic- the one I got at the thrift store. Set on side of sink. Fill with HOT water, and a shot of Dawn dish detergent. Put on glasses. Fire up my little mini-pressure washer. Hose out the nooks and crannies of that reciever. Blast the crud out of that trigger group. Sluice out that firing pin channel. Chase cat across kitchen floor with stream. RINSE with really hot clear water. Shake. blowdry. Lube gently. Reassemble. Deny knowledge of cat's problems.

Warning- go get yer own Water Pic. Get caught using Mom's on the Remington, the cat is not the only one with problems.

__________________
c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:16 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Sometimes you're trying to wash out some of the grit/crud, but don't want to take that maze/ puzzle of springs, little bitty pieces parts apart, so......
1. Gunscrubber 1a. Spray brake cleaner 2. Soak in low flammability solvent, scrub as best you can

And then there is method #3- sometimes combined with above. I take my $1 Water Pic- the one I got at the thrift store. Set on side of sink. Fill with HOT water, and a shot of Dawn dish detergent. Put on glasses. Fire up my little mini-pressure washer. Hose out the nooks and crannies of that reciever. Blast the crud out of that trigger group. Sluice out that firing pin channel. Chase cat across kitchen floor with stream. RINSE with really hot clear water. Shake. blowdry. Lube gently. Reassemble. Deny knowledge of cat's problems.

Warning- go get yer own Water Pic. Get caught using Mom's on the Remington, the cat is not the only one with problems.
Oh great, now you've gone and done it! Method 3, another 'must have' tool for cleaning my harem.

Great idea c3!

The analogy with a pressure washer is perfect.

I'm off to the thrift store... But wait, I got no cat? MMmmm I wonder if it will still work? And what if I don't use Dawn? Sh!t, I think this is falling apart right before my eyes.
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaner AR's Yunus AR-15 Discussion 8 09-13-2009 02:27 AM
Bren Parts Kit/Other Parts Kits surly General Rifle Discussion 3 01-09-2009 08:23 PM
Wipe out Bore cleaner Foam Doug1627 Firearm Accessories & Gear 5 03-11-2008 04:36 PM
Best Bore Cleaner? PuppetMaster General Rifle Discussion 3 05-19-2007 02:03 PM