Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   gun parts cleaner (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/gun-parts-cleaner-9369/)

hay 12-23-2008 01:04 PM

gun parts cleaner

what do you all use to clean gun parts? i mean the small inaccessible parts of the action, not the barrel. i was using birchwood casy brand Gun Scrubber in the aerosol can, but i ran out late on a sunday evening, so i used some brake parts cleaner i had in the shop. what, if any, is the difference between gun scrubber and brake parts cleaner beside the price? they both clean good and dry fast and both will take off any paint or varnish finish on wood or metal. is there something else i am missing that would be better for 'power' cleaning small areas on an occasional basis? thanks.

stalkingbear 12-27-2008 06:58 PM

The only difference, since they quit using tricholerethene is price. I've been using china-mart brake part cleaner for several years now, just BE SURE to keep it away from finished wood stocks as it WILL raise/seperate the finish.

pirate 01-10-2009 08:56 PM

one other thing to remember when using any chemicals to clean weapons try to keep it off your skin. Some chemicals can be absorbed thru your skin, I found this out the hard way and got sicker than a dog for a couple days!

canebrake 01-10-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 57743)
The only difference, since they quit using tricholerethene is price. I've been using china-mart brake part cleaner for several years now, just BE SURE to keep it away from finished wood stocks as it WILL raise/seperate the finish.

+1 on the brake cleaner.

And ditto on the metal only!!

cane

canebrake 01-10-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pirate (Post 61376)
one other thing to remember when using any chemicals to clean weapons try to keep it off your skin. Some chemicals can be absorbed thru your skin, I found this out the hard way and got sicker than a dog for a couple days!

PSA......***NOTICE***.......PSA

Practice safe gun cleaning, use a rubber....................glove.:D

cane

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p..._2476373-1.jpg

matt g 01-10-2009 09:15 PM

Be absolutely sure that you oil all metal parts very well after using Brakleen on them. It'll eat the oil out of the metal.

c3shooter 01-11-2009 03:41 AM

Sometimes you're trying to wash out some of the grit/crud, but don't want to take that maze/ puzzle of springs, little bitty pieces parts apart, so......
1. Gunscrubber 1a. Spray brake cleaner 2. Soak in low flammability solvent, scrub as best you can

And then there is method #3- sometimes combined with above. I take my $1 Water Pic- the one I got at the thrift store. Set on side of sink. Fill with HOT water, and a shot of Dawn dish detergent. Put on glasses. Fire up my little mini-pressure washer. Hose out the nooks and crannies of that reciever. Blast the crud out of that trigger group. Sluice out that firing pin channel. Chase cat across kitchen floor with stream. RINSE with really hot clear water. Shake. blowdry. Lube gently. Reassemble. Deny knowledge of cat's problems.

Warning- go get yer own Water Pic. Get caught using Mom's on the Remington, the cat is not the only one with problems.

canebrake 01-11-2009 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 61481)
Sometimes you're trying to wash out some of the grit/crud, but don't want to take that maze/ puzzle of springs, little bitty pieces parts apart, so......
1. Gunscrubber 1a. Spray brake cleaner 2. Soak in low flammability solvent, scrub as best you can

And then there is method #3- sometimes combined with above. I take my $1 Water Pic- the one I got at the thrift store. Set on side of sink. Fill with HOT water, and a shot of Dawn dish detergent. Put on glasses. Fire up my little mini-pressure washer. Hose out the nooks and crannies of that reciever. Blast the crud out of that trigger group. Sluice out that firing pin channel. Chase cat across kitchen floor with stream. RINSE with really hot clear water. Shake. blowdry. Lube gently. Reassemble. Deny knowledge of cat's problems.

Warning- go get yer own Water Pic. Get caught using Mom's on the Remington, the cat is not the only one with problems.

Oh great, now you've gone and done it! Method 3, another 'must have' tool for cleaning my harem. :p

Great idea c3! :D

The analogy with a pressure washer is perfect.

I'm off to the thrift store... But wait, I got no cat? MMmmm I wonder if it will still work? :confused: And what if I don't use Dawn? Sh!t, I think this is falling apart right before my eyes. :mad: