gun lubricant - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > gun lubricant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I use CLP (Clean, Lubricate, Protect) its expensive but good.

"Sir we are surrounded."
"Good! We can attack in any direction."

Old 08-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #12

I think ur talking bout Break Free CLP..hope I'm right in that assumption..FYI: I'm presently doing a test on Break Free, Eezox and Quick Release oils. Cleaned up 6 new nails, put BF, Eezox and QR onnem and set them outside partially exposed to the elements. Also took 3 of the nails put the 3 oils/lubricants onnem and then placed them in VERY salty hot water and then exposed them partially to the elements. Started this test 8/17/10 and will post results 8/27/10. So far they're all doing the same and we've had rain here every day for the past 5 days.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #13

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

i like the teflon based "triflow". it puts a teflon coating on the parts that stays on.

smells good too......like bananas

Old 08-24-2010, 06:05 AM   #14

Yea mate, break free. I have a 2 gallon bottle of it.

"Sir we are surrounded."
"Good! We can attack in any direction."

Old 08-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #15

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For a light grease on gun parts, I use lubriplate engine assembly grease I've mixed with graphite powder. For gun oil, like others have mentioned, I've used mobile 1, or any other synthetic motor oil for that matter, for lubeing my rifles and all their metals for rust prevention....works great.

At range last Sunday, fellow shooter showed me an oil he's used for awhile now on his rifles and is enthusiastic about that he bought at one of our local Ace Hardware stores. Guy said he bought the oil just to get its bottle with the long spout.....that he would pour out the oil and put his regular gun in the bottle. Then one day he tried the turbine oil and had used it ever since. Unfortunately, I can't remember its name. However, product is marketed by a California company and its in about a clear plastic 4 oz bottle with a 2" or longer thin spout for applying a drop of oil where you need it. Bottle states something about oil for turbine lubrication. Turbines such as gas or jet engine types. Price is about $2. Shooter with oil had told another gent we regularly shoot with about the oil a few weeks before, who tried it on his fishing reels....guy is a professional salt water fishing guide who is also an avid shooter. So happens, there was a fishing show in town recently that Quatum reels had a booth at.....fishing guide took one of their reels on display, disassembled it, cleaned it,then lubed it with the turbine oil from Ace, reassembled it and told Quatum reps to now try it. They were amazed at how much more freely the reel spun with the oil, wanting to know info about it.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I used to use Rem oil, but lately (with some of the advice from others on this forum) I started to use Mobil 1. Works fantastic!

Old 11-25-2010, 02:40 AM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

If you will mix 1 Qt. of Mobile #1, 15w50 Synthetic Motor Oil and 1/2 Qt. of Mobile #1, Synthetic Transmission Fluid you will find no better weapons lubricant. I am not so sure that some are not using it under another name and making some good $$$$. Or you can buy a spray can of G-96 Gun Lube and eliminate your lubrication problems. I buy one of those small RC red plastic gas cans from Wal-Mart or somewhere and mix my Mobile One Synthetic Motor Oil and Syn. Trans Fluid and have a full 1 1/2 Quart of the finest lube you can buy. We have used it for 6 years plus at this point. It is great for the AR Rifle since some light gun oils will bake off almost immediately. And it is my thought that since the Mobile #1 has a slight trace of detergent in it that it assists with keeping carbon under control better.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:08 AM   #18

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
i like the teflon based "triflow". it puts a teflon coating on the parts that stays on.

smells good too......like bananas
Bananas is right. Excellent lube.

I use Moly wheel bearing grease on all slide rails and bolt lugs, and Breakfree everywhere else.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

how will moter oil work in cold weather 32deg and colder, or is this a warm weather oil only?
Some times I hunt -10 ,-20 deg or at the gun range -30
I live in north central Canada.
Thanks F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 11-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #20

Default Test of lubricants

Forgot to post here about the results of the tests I did on Break Free CLP, Eezox and Quick Release...they all worked 100% on both tests. The only catch is you have to shake up Quick Release...the Mobile 1 does sound promising though !

Life Member - NRA
Member - GOA
Member - American Gunsmith Association
Member - New Zealand Society of Gunsmiths
Member - SAF
Member - CCRKBA

God bless the USA and all those that protect her!....

Newest Threads