Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > gun company

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 748 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

While your researching the best route...take some manual machinest courses from any vocational school ie; lathes, mills and drill presses...it will be a real asset.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7558 Times on 3291 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Blue- In order to be a gun smith, gun maker, or gun seller, you need a Federal Firearms License. You have to be at least 21 to get one, so you have some time to learn the skills you would need.

What skills? Well, manual arts will be important. Wood working, metal working, how to use machine tools, how to weld.

Math and business are also important- if you are planning on having a business. And it IS an expensive business to get started. You will also want to learn as many computer skills as you can- for recordkeeping, research, and being able to FIND information.

After high school, TWO of the very good gunsmithing schools in the US are in Colorado. But there is also a very old means of learning a craft- find someone that IS a master at that craft, and wants a helper- and apprentice yourself to them You provide them with labor, they provide you with knowledge and guidance. HOWEVER, not everyone that is good at what they do is good about teaching it to someone else. If you decide to go that route, spend a few YEARS picking your mentor.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #13

Liked 748 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Oh...and since you're young and have time....you could get your feet wet in the trade by joining the Navy or Coast Guard as a Gunners Mate.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #14

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I considered this career at one time. I was young at the time. I worked one summer in a shop doing grunt work. I found that it was not for me. It would be something you should look into.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #15

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Gunsmithing is a fun hobby, extremely hard to make it on your own and if you work for someone they pay you peanuts, and gunsmithing school cost me close to $60k with moving, cost of living, expenses, armorers classes, if you are loaded by all means go for it though.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16822 Times on 9747 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

many get into as a hobby or side job, until they build a customer base that will allow them to do it full time. these people will have a full time job and do their gunsmithing at night and on the weekends. some go to work as an apprentice in a shop and learn under a master gunsmith while they fine tune their craft. the modern age has changed how the public uses them now. they aren't near in demad as they were many years ago, but that's why we need more of them. the modern age has changed many peoples ways of doing things, we have become a people who use something, then get rid of it when it no longer functions. many years ago, people took guns in to be fixed when they broke or didn't work correctly. think about this, when was the las time anyone saw a small appliance repair shop? there use to be two in the town i live in, they went out of business years ago, because of modern thinking. i truly hope you pursue this and decide to become a gunsmith because we do need more of them and not allow it to become a craft that dies out. good luck to you.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #17

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

So true the day of the gun tinkers is about gone. The new shops are run by men who can do magic with modern machine tools. Cylinder & Slide, Red Jacket Etc. are the modern go to shops. The tinker who makes small parts with a file has given way to modern CNC and heat treaters etc.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #18

Liked 627 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Plus it is so much easier for people to work on their own guns now. You can go online to find out how to take your gun apart and someone will tell you what is wrong with it. You can order the parts yourself online and even check prices to see who is cheaper.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.