Gun Cleaning/Building type
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gun Cleaning/Building type

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun Cleaning/Building type

Hello i have a question about doing a gun cleaning service. I'll tell you i got in mine. I'm thinking about taking a gunsmith coarse just to get alittle more knowledge about guns. My intentions is to buy a small shed and do nothing but clean guns in it for ppl that may dont have time or dont want to bother with them after a long day at he range. My question is would i need a special type of building Wood, metal or what and would i have to be inspectedby the feds.

Thanks for input and time

Dean

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8838 Times on 3826 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Dean, you could do that anywhere you want- however, you have a couple of hoops to jump thru.

First, assuming you are doing this to get paid for it, you have a business. You will need a business license, and be in a place where zoning permits you to run a business.

Second, you will need an 01 Federal firearms License (dealer/gunsmith) to do this IF the gun is left at your premises- just as a gun smith needs a license.
Part of that will be having secure storage for firearms.

I would also STRONGLY suggest you have insurance to cover your liability if it is alleged that you did something wrong that hurt a gun or hurt a person- and have insurance that will cover the "property of others in your care and custody". If I leave you a $2000 shotgun or rifle, I expect it back- and if someone breaks in and steal all the guns, I assure you, your homeowner's insurance is NOT going to cover that.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #3

Thanks c3shooter that's some really good info and i thank you. Your right about there being a few hoops to go thru and to think about. Sounds like it's going to take alot money to make a little side money here and there. lol

Thanks again

Old 06-22-2011, 04:12 AM   #4

Default gunsmith/cleaning

"Second, you will need an 01 Federal firearms License (dealer/gunsmith) to do this IF the gun is left at your premises- just as a gun smith needs a license.
Part of that will be having secure storage for firearms."
that is not so.
the ATF holds that if you do any work on guns for pay you are required to have an FFL. If you return the gun the same day you do not have to log it in your A&D book.

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8838 Times on 3826 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Triggerman- you are correct- that was what I meant when I said "left at premises"- should have added word "overnight".

Key point- some folks believe that they do not need a FFL because they are just mounting/ zeroing a scope, cleaning, refinishing stocks, etc. And it only takes one guy that does not get back to the shop for you to have an overnighter.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:24 AM   #6

Thanks so much guys im learning from your post. Glad i came here a lot of good information.

Thanks for your time.