Gun Cleaning - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gun Cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
But I've been called anal by many! <insert witty comment here>
No, not you Lon!!

For me, the "cable" in the Otis kits just doesn't do it. I understand the concept, but just don't like it. If I say any more, I will end up in the "foot-in-mouth" thread. If you buy a basic all caliber kit, you can always add parts as you go. A small tackle or tool box works well when you out grow the original case.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Last edited by Glasshartt; 07-04-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Stick to one piece rods that are coated, with carbon fiber ore some other coating that wont hurt your barrle. and remember to wipe off your rod after every pass through the barrle.
F.K.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:08 AM   #13

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

start simple and basic hopps no 9 and rem oil clean from the BREACH carbon fibre or brass rods and go light on the oil

Old 07-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Looks like a found a nice all caliber kit from Hoppes. All it has is a rod, Hoppes No. 9, some patches, and some lube in a nice case. That way I can just get what brushes I need, some Shooter's Choice, and some other small odds and ends.

Yeah, that sort of why the idea appealed to me. I don't really want a kit for every gun sitting around.

Same here. Most people that know me well go as far to call me OCD.

I know exactly what you mean. I worked at on when I was a teenager. Now, I avoid Wal Mart like the plague.
Actually, the guy at the local Walmart is extremely knowledgeable about guns, cleaning, etc. Walmart also has great prices on ammo.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 AM   #15

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

you got the idea dont complacate it. wall mart sales man like so many he can talk the talk but does he walk the walk?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You could also go online to the manufacturer's website to find the "book" that comes with the guns...they'll tell you how to disassemble (and reassemble) for cleaning. Some of them which I have almost give you step by step instructions.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #17

Default Cleaning your friends

Howdy Y'all
It's a fine tradition to clean your own weapons...but your gunsmith needs love too. LOL.
If you need directions for field stripping your weapons be they long guns or short there are many fine links that can help.
page7b This one covers a ton of weapons new and old.T E X T F I L E S and another they are PDF files but seein as you work on the gear you can deal with that. You will find that tools and gear stack up over time, old ammo cans are dandy for your oils, another for your patches and tips. If you like ice cream on a stick you can shape the sticks into lots of scrapers that won't mar or scrape off any color but are great in the corners and slide rails.
I'm and old Navy guy and we used CLP (Break-Free) for darn near everything and I still use it on my 9mm TZ and the old .303 and .22's. Never failed me yet.
Well have fun hope these links help.
Yours in Service
James Acerra

Gun Control is Hitting Your Target

Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I enjoy cleaning almost as much as shooting. Cleaning pretty much anything with complex parts whether it's electronic or mechanical is extremely calming to me.

The first time that I disassemble a new gun I remove and replace a part at a time. That is, I don't strip it completely in one pass but instead remove a part then replace it a few times until I know exactly how that part should look and feel.

Keep your work area clean. Be diligent in separating your brushes and rods. The first time that you jam a 9mm rod into your .22LR barrel and it gets stuck there will be the last time that it happens (if you learn )..

Read up on your supplies. Some cleaners don't work well with certain finishes. Using the proper cleaner can also minimize wear as you will need less force to get parts clean. Using the wrong cleaner can damage some parts.

Above all, be safe. In your home it's easy to sit in front of the television and disassemble and clean your firearm. The danger is that you can get so comfortable that you become careless. I'm very strict with myself and others about the maintenance portion of shooting, possibly even stricter than when I'm on the range.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #19

Early in my gun-cleaning career I started having lots of feeding and ejection problems. They ended after an exceptionally good gunsmith gave me a good lecture about breaking out of the break-free mode because all it does it leave a shellac-like residue.

I kinda enjoy cleaning guns (all mine are semi-automatics) and can't understand the degree of boasting in some other forums about not cleaning until the gun stops working.

Last edited by nosreme; 07-06-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #20

Default To each there own

Howdy Y'all
Yes as a Armorer in the Navy we used CLP (Break-Free) on everything from the .45's up to the 5" 38 Naval cannon, as well as tools, wrenchs, pipe and C-clamps. Yes I know some who dislike CLP and have heard the reasons. But I've had no problems with it. I also use Kroil, Rem Oil or Hoppes depending on the order. But it is true you use what you like some are better some are worse. Depends on your use also. For the weekend user that shoots maybe a box or two to the case shooter or competition gunner.
I've put my TZ-75 thru 500 round testing and had no FTF's.This is with water bucket handy for when it got so hot that the waves made sighting tough I'd douche it off in the bucket and keep rolling.
I have no problems with any choice, research and experieance will be your guide.
Hopefully you will not be offended I agree with you, all folks have their tastes.
Yours in Service
James Acerra

Gun Control is HITTING YOUR TARGET
leftview400x261j.jpg