Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gun Cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default Gun Cleaning

Forgive me for such a simpleton request.

Despite the fact that I'm very familiar with shooting guns I have never stripped one down. I have never cleaned any of my guns. I've been taking them to someone for that. Even though this person does it for a fair price I'd like to learn to do it for myself.

I don't want to start a business here. I just want to become proficient in stripping down my own guns an clean them. I've been looking through products all morning and I have no idea what to get. So, I could really use some suggestions. Also, any websites or books you could point me to on the subject would be great!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are lots of youTube videos on the subject. You might want to check them out.

Do you have handguns, rifles, both? You will need the appropriate rods, tips (like jags and brushes), and patches for both, not to mention calibers. Fortunately, two or three cleaning rods cover just about all the calibers out there, or at least the most common.

Look into the cleaning kits available at places like Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc. If you don't have one near you, check out the websites for Midway or Natchez.

Any more questions, just ask. Lots of people here would be happy to help you.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #3

I have rifles, shotguns, and pistols.

I took your advice and went to Youtube and checked out some videos. I saw a few generic videos about cleaning and it really helped with products. Then I looked at some more specific disassemble videos for guns that I own which was VERY helpful.

In fact, I just stripped down my PM9 a few minutes ago. Can't believe how simple it is. Now I just need to grab some supplies.

Before I do that I do have one question. Would you shy away from an "all caliber" cleaning kit and lean towards getting specific kits for each caliber you own?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I buy all caliber cleaning kits, just because I want to cut down excess clutter in my house when I can . It's a good thing to know how to disassemble you firearms so that way you can become more "attatched" to them, and fix problems that may occure if you know how to.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #5

All-caliber kits should be okay, depending upon how serious you are. The only reason I don't like them is because I like one-piece rods, as opposed to the screw-together kind, and jags/brushes that are more caliber-specific.

But I've been called anal by many! <insert witty comment here>

Old 07-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2632 Times on 1535 Posts
Likes Given: 1167

Most gun cleaning kits I've seen in places like WallyWorld have too much of some things and not enough of others.

Picks, tooth brushes, etc... that are useful in gun cleaning are scattered all over the store and I (for one) don't enjoy seeing "the people of Walmart".

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #7

Looks like a found a nice all caliber kit from Hoppes. All it has is a rod, Hoppes No. 9, some patches, and some lube in a nice case. That way I can just get what brushes I need, some Shooter's Choice, and some other small odds and ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
I buy all caliber cleaning kits, just because I want to cut down excess clutter in my house when I can . It's a good thing to know how to disassemble you firearms so that way you can become more "attatched" to them, and fix problems that may occure if you know how to.
Yeah, that sort of why the idea appealed to me. I don't really want a kit for every gun sitting around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
All-caliber kits should be okay, depending upon how serious you are. The only reason I don't like them is because I like one-piece rods, as opposed to the screw-together kind, and jags/brushes that are more caliber-specific.

But I've been called anal by many! <insert witty comment here>
Same here. Most people that know me well go as far to call me OCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Most gun cleaning kits I've seen in places like WallyWorld have too much of some things and not enough of others.

Picks, tooth brushes, etc... that are useful in gun cleaning are scattered all over the store and I (for one) don't enjoy seeing "the people of Walmart".
I know exactly what you mean. I worked at on when I was a teenager. Now, I avoid Wal Mart like the plague.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #8

I enjoy cleaning my firearms; hope you turn out to like it, too!

Old 07-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #9

I think I will.

I assemble and repair desktops, laptops, servers, and printers for a living. Another hobby of mine is working on cars.

It should be be second nature. I can't wait to tear down my Winchester 1897 and get the action working smoothly again.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I myself prefer Otis kits, they are kinda pricey but well worth it. Also a used toothbrush, dental picks, and some old cotton t shirts are great. As far as field stripping them you can get a book for that. somrthing like this (there are more this is just one) Amazon.com: The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part I - Automatic Pistols (Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly: Part 1 Automatic Pistols) (Pt. 1) (9780873417839): J B Wood: Books

there is a multitude of cleaners and soulitions on the market. some of us have our favorites and others might hate some. I myself like Gun Scrubber from birchwood casey, butches bore shine, and hoppes elite. just follow the directions on any cleaner you use.

After cleaning a VERY light coat of oil and a dap of EWG on the moving parts is what i do. here is a link to ewg.
Extreme Weapons Grease: SLiP2000™