Glock trigger job
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Glock trigger job

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Glock trigger job

I'm wanting to tackle a trigger job on my new G23. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? This is my everyday carry, so too light is a bad thing. I watched a video on simply polishing the internal parts for a smoother operation and am going to do that today, but if a new spring or assembly is your suggestion, which one do you suggest? Money is limited, so the adjustable trigger assembly for $100+ is out. The $20 spring kit is ok.

Thanks for any advice.

12FRETTER

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Liked 2208 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 820

You might want to shoot the gun for a while before you do anything to the trigger assembly. Your Glock has a 5.5 lb trigger pull from the factory. You need to be careful when you polish the parts. If you round off the parts the gun will be unsafe. Just shooting the gun will polish the parts to a degree.

There are several trigger kits for your Glock they are designed for competition. The factory Glock trigger kit that reduces the trigger pull to 4.5 lb. There are two popular kits to reduce the trigger pull to 3.5 lb. The both claim to shorten the trigger pull and provide a better reset. They are the Glockworx and the Ghost.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #3

I planned on putting some rounds through it to break it in a bit, and do a bunch of dry firing as well. But if you were to do a trigger job, would this be it:

EVO

Also, on the polishing, I would not be using a wire wheel, or anything like that, I would only use a polishing compound and a dremel with a felt tip. Do you see that as a potential problem?

Thanks for your assistance.

12FRETTER

Old 06-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22028 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
I planned on putting some rounds through it to break it in a bit, and do a bunch of dry firing as well. But if you were to do a trigger job, would this be it:

EVO

Also, on the polishing, I would not be using a wire wheel, or anything like that, I would only use a polishing compound and a dremel with a felt tip. Do you see that as a potential problem?

Thanks for your assistance.
using anything powered with compound could cause you problems if not careful. it very easy to upset the critical areas if too much material is removed and make the gun unsafe.

i would suggest taking it to a compentent gunsmith who is well versed in working on Glock trigger assemblies. if this is too costly, then it might be better to leave it as is and be safe.

the trigger is IMO, the most important component in the safety of a firearm. this is not an area to screw around with unless you know what you are doing. your safey and others epends on that trigger functioning safely at all times.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
using anything powered with compound could cause you problems if not careful. it very easy to upset the critical areas if too much material is removed and make the gun unsafe.

i would suggest taking it to a compentent gunsmith who is well versed in working on Glock trigger assemblies. if this is too costly, then it might be better to leave it as is and be safe.

the trigger is IMO, the most important component in the safety of a firearm. this is not an area to screw around with unless you know what you are doing. your safey and others epends on that trigger functioning safely at all times.
I get your point. I'll try and break it in the regular way. Lots of dry firing. I'll also look around locally for a good Glock guy and see what he or they have to say.

Thanks for the advice.

12FRETTER

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3151 Times on 1815 Posts
Likes Given: 1346

One of the best trigger jobs for a Glock is to get a 1911.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 06-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22028 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
I get your point. I'll try and break it in the regular way. Lots of dry firing. I'll also look around locally for a good Glock guy and see what he or they have to say.

Thanks for the advice.
you're welcome. i tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to trigger jobs and trigger mods.

also, look at it from this point of view, if using the pistol for carry or SD purposes, in the highly unlikely chance you would everuse the gun, at that moment of stress, i doubt you will notice one pound of difference in trigger pull.

but, yes, buy some snap caps and do lots of dry firing. as JD said, and i agree, just shooting and dry firing alone will polish up the trigger components in itself.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Google 25 cent trigger job.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3151 Times on 1815 Posts
Likes Given: 1346

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Google 25 cent trigger job.
Then google 25 cent trigger job problem.
http://www.glockforum.net/forum/glock-troubleshooting-maintenance/705-25-cent-trigger-job-problem.html

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Yup--there are people in this world that can screw up a red rubber ball.

For carry guns I usually do a polish job on the connector, trigger bar and
striker. Round and polish the firing pin safety plunger, and use a
Glockmeister extra power trigger spring. Everything else stays stock.

Competition guns get a light firing pin plunger spring, 3.5 lb connector
(I like Lone Wolf) and a re-drilled trigger bar. With the stock striker
spring it will be right at 3 lbs, crisp with a positive reset and all safeties
operational.