Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   glock 29 10mm brass exploded. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/glock-29-10mm-brass-exploded-88832/)

Ryadew3468 04-15-2013 02:34 AM

glock 29 10mm brass exploded.

I took my glock 29 out for the first time saturday. I shot 100 rounds and had one that the brass exploded/split.(pic included) I was shooting PPU JHP 180gr bullets. I did inspect the other 99 or so casings and nothing that I saw looked out of the normal. Do you guys think it was just a fluke or worth looking more into? Also, Ipit was some were in the middle of me shooting. Buddy of mine just happend to look down and see it while I was shooting.

Ryadew3468 04-15-2013 02:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is he picture

Ryadew3468 04-15-2013 02:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another picture

MoreAltitude 04-15-2013 03:28 AM

Wow, not good! Would seem to me a round slipped through quality control! I'd email them for the sake of answering some of your questions and to let them know they might have a problem with production standards.

Contacts:

ADDRESS: PRVI PARTIZAN AD
Milosa Obrenovica 2
31000 Uzice
Serbia

WEB: www.prvipartizan.com

E-MAIL: office@prvipartizan.com

Ammunition Production Manager- Jovisa Starcevic, B.Sc.Eng. -> jovisa.starcevic@prvipartizan.com

trip286 04-15-2013 04:11 AM

I've told this story before...

Once upon a time, my old Cadillac threw a belt. No biggie. I'm a grown man, can replace a belt no problem.

My uncle called me up while I was just finishing up. I told him what I was doing, as I told my ex wife, "fire it up". As she got behind the wheel, my uncle asks, "well... Did you figure out WHY it threw the belt?"

The engine cranks and begins to idle as I ask, "huh?"...

SNAP!!!!!

$35 down the drain. As he already knew, there was an underlying problem. In this case, I didn't notice the plastic idler pulley was cracked around the bearing, causing an outrageous wobble.

Bought another $35 belt and a $40 steel replacement pulley.

Contact the ammo maker. Take your gun to a Smith. Don't shoot it again until you find out what the underlying problem is. Guns are more dangerous than a serpentine belt. There's a reason that case split.

robocop10mm 04-15-2013 04:52 AM

High pressure teamed up with an improperly anealed case. That is not an exploded case. That is badly cracked case. I have seen that in handloads after 5 or 6 loadings.

Brass is "drawn" in the forming process. This work hardens the metal. The mouth must be anealed to soften it back up so it expands, seals and contracts properly. If it is not anealed or improperly anealed it will be too hard and brittle.

Combine this with the generous chamber dimensions of Glock pistols and VIOLA!

Ryadew3468 04-15-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreAltitude (Post 1214320)
Wow, not good! Would seem to me a round slipped through quality control! I'd email them for the sake of answering some of your questions and to let them know they might have a problem with production standards.

Contacts:

ADDRESS: PRVI PARTIZAN AD
Milosa Obrenovica 2
31000 Uzice
Serbia

WEB: www.prvipartizan.com

E-MAIL: office@prvipartizan.com

Ammunition Production Manager- Jovisa Starcevic, B.Sc.Eng. -> jovisa.starcevic@prvipartizan.com

I will do that today thank you!

Ryadew3468 04-15-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1214413)
High pressure teamed up with an improperly anealed case. That is not an exploded case. That is badly cracked case. I have seen that in handloads after 5 or 6 loadings.

Brass is "drawn" in the forming process. This work hardens the metal. The mouth must be anealed to soften it back up so it expands, seals and contracts properly. If it is not anealed or improperly anealed it will be too hard and brittle.

Combine this with the generous chamber dimensions of Glock pistols and VIOLA!

So your saying I just got a bad apple?

JTJ 04-15-2013 01:21 PM

The case has a ragged crack indicating bad metal. That is not an exploded case. When a case explodes it is usually due to high pressure and the gun will be damaged. Did you fire any more rounds after the one that cracked?

Ryadew3468 04-15-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1214370)
I've told this story before...

Once upon a time, my old Cadillac threw a belt. No biggie. I'm a grown man, can replace a belt no problem.

My uncle called me up while I was just finishing up. I told him what I was doing, as I told my ex wife, "fire it up". As she got behind the wheel, my uncle asks, "well... Did you figure out WHY it threw the belt?"

The engine cranks and begins to idle as I ask, "huh?"...

SNAP!!!!!

$35 down the drain. As he already knew, there was an underlying problem. In this case, I didn't notice the plastic idler pulley was cracked around the bearing, causing an outrageous wobble.

Bought another $35 belt and a $40 steel replacement pulley.

Contact the ammo maker. Take your gun to a Smith. Don't shoot it again until you find out what the underlying problem is. Guns are more dangerous than a serpentine belt. There's a reason that case split.

Very true! I think im going to email the ammo company and email glock just to see what they say.