Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Glock 23 issue!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glock 23 issue!!

I have a glock 40 model 23 not too sure if its a (gen3 or gen4.) Anyways the issue im having with my model 23 is that everytime i shoot it with a full clip it would on every shot do what it does on the last shot of the clip . It would not saying that it jams but everytime i shoot it i have to push the release just for it to go back. Please explain to me what it is that is wrong with my model 23 and any suggestion on what i can do to make it functionable without any problems ??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #2

Liked 423 Times on 234 Posts

First off not to seem harsh but it is a mag or magazine not a clip. Others will say it I'm sure.

Now to your issue... Pay attention to your grip, chances are your resting your thumb under the slide release and slightly pushing up on it. By pushing up on it as the pistol cycles it is locking the slide back.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #3

Ok . Im going to try and see if thats the issue but if not what other problem you may think it be ? Could be perhaps the slide stop lever ? Or possibly the ammo im using in the mag??

Old 11-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #4

Liked 423 Times on 234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew626
Ok . Im going to try and see if thats the issue but if not what other problem you may think it be ? Could be perhaps the slide stop lever ? Or possibly the ammo im using in the mag??
Realistically unless there is something really wrong with the pistol and I mean really wrong with it I'm going with operator error.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 55

If I am understanding your post then I would agree with ctshooter, you may be hitting the slide release upwards. If this is not the case and you are having a fail to go into battery issue there are a few things it could be. The main things to look at is a magazine issue, ammo issue, worn main spring issue. I would also recommend you pull it apart and give it a good cleaning then apply a light coat of oil.

If hitting your mag release will drop it back into battery without slapping the back of the slide then your issue is your slide release.

Last edited by deathkricket; 11-11-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #6

What exactly do u mean by the last thing u said deathlricket ?? Im not understanding just quite ??

Old 11-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #7

Liked 52 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew626 View Post
What exactly do u mean by the last thing u said deathlricket ?? Im not understanding just quite ??
When you fire your pistol and the slide locks to the rear with rounds still in the magazine, If you push down on your slide release and the slide goes forward pushing a round into the chamber and locking up without you having to push the slide forward with your hand.

If you have to push the slide forward with your hand to chamber the next round then this is a failure to go into battery (load a round in the chamber). Also know as a failure to feed.

Last edited by deathkricket; 11-11-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #8

Liked 215 Times on 142 Posts

9 times out of 10 this is caused by a thumb bumping the slide release like the others stated. But since you indicate it happens on EVERY shot there may be something going on with your slide release spring.

Try field stripping and making sure it is installed properly. You might search some YouTube vids that will show better detail on how they are supposed to be installed. Here is a half a$$ pic of what you'll be looking for.

image-1215930740.jpg

Old 11-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #9

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 931

Yeah, it's your thumb.

BTW, do you know that the Gen4 is actually marked on the left side of the slide? If not there then you have a Gen 3 or Gen 2.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #10

I didnt know that thanks for the heads up n deathkricket im pretty sure it has to be either the slide stop lever or spring .. Thanks for your guys help i really appreciate the advice n tips ill keep u updated n let u know if the problem still occurs ... U all have a have a good one !!