Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   gift from ffl (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/gift-ffl-69213/)

mountainman13 07-29-2012 08:11 PM

gift from ffl

1 Attachment(s)
Savage 110cl series h
30-06
Quick going over it looks like the previous owner was a reloader and had a kaboom.
I'd the barrel and receiver are still good and it fits one of the random stocks I have laying around I'll rebuild it.

mountainman13 07-30-2012 12:56 PM

I sent an email over to the ffl. I had to know what the story behind this thing was. He told me it never went kaboom but he doesn't know what happened to it. I wish the gun could talk I'd love to know how the walnut stock got snapped in half and why the bolt is cracked and bent.

danf_fl 07-30-2012 01:01 PM

Kinda looks like it was run over by a truck.

Or you could make up a story of how you were up in the mountains, and in trying to save your guide's life, you had to let the rifle drop 200' down a ravine....... :)

mountainman13 07-30-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
Kinda looks like it was run over by a truck.

Or you could make up a story of how you were up in the mountains, and in trying to save your guide's life, you had to let the rifle drop 200' down a ravine....... :)

Lol. You may very well be right about it getting run over.

c3shooter 07-30-2012 04:42 PM

Well, that was the day I had run out of ammo. The last of the polar bears was going after our sled dogs, and if he killed them, we would be stranded there forever. As he approached, I stepped in to him, and delivered the mightiest vertical butt stroke I ever swung, catching him just under the jaw. He swung one paw around, smashing the rifle, breaking the stock and bending the bolt. Stunned, he fell to all fours. I grabbed my only weapon left- my "John Wayne" P-38 C ration can opener, and slashed his carotid.

Of COURSE I can prove it- I still have the C ration opener!

:p

Being run over is a strong likelihood-followed by being shipped by UPS. Have seen a lot of SXS shotguns with a small "ding" 2/3rds of the way down the barrel- usually cause by gun butt on the ground, gun leaning against seat, closing door on gun.

mountainman13 07-30-2012 04:46 PM

Lmfao. Great story.

mountainman13 07-30-2012 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I got the barreled action all inletted with the barrel free floated. Now I just gotta come up with the money for the new bolt body, bolt head and magazine so I can finish fitting everything and fabricate a bed block then sand and stain the stock. Gonna be a while.

danf_fl 07-31-2012 12:08 AM

It's looking good so far.

Please keep us up on the status.

mountainman13 07-31-2012 12:32 AM

Thanks. It'll be a while before I have the money to spend on it. Gotta get some stuff paid off. It's gonna be one ugly rifle and the inletting isn't great doing it by hand sucks I wish I had a router. I'll be happy as long as I get the thing together. It's definitely not meant to go together so it will be interesting.