Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Getting started, need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Getting started, need advice

Hello everyone, i am planning on doing rather basic things for people such as reloading ammo (shotgun and rifle), refinishing stocks, restoring older and beat up firearms, and everything in between. My question to you is what all do i need before i can "open my doors"? I am speaking toolwise and if there are any special liscenseds ? Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3690 Times on 2277 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandGuy42
Hello everyone, i am planning on doing rather basic things for people such as reloading ammo (shotgun and rifle), refinishing stocks, restoring older and beat up firearms, and everything in between. My question to you is what all do i need before i can "open my doors"? I am speaking toolwise and if there are any special liscenseds ? Thanks in advance
At least a reloading press of some sort with all the components for whatever calibers you want to reload (brass, powder, primers, bullets). Powders come in many different types, and some are better for some calibers, including some specifically for black powder. Some burn cleaner or dirtier, faster or slower. Primers can come in pistol or rifle, small, large, magnum, shotshell, (did I forget any?). Bullets come in many different weights and styles (hollow point, FMJ, lead, etc etc etc etc). There is a lot of variety in bullets alone.

You would probably want brass cleaning equipment, a scale which measures in grains, a bullet puller. Good lord the list goes on. Lets not forget some good reloading manuals.

I would recommend being able to test all your loads so you know what to advertise while selling. So in this regard a chronograph is handy. Also you want to know your loads are safe. A lot of people are hesitant to buy reloads from less than reputable sources, especially someone just starting off.

Reloading by itself can eat up a lot of money (especially starting off) and time. I'm not sure now is the best time ever to get started with reloading as a business. Expect to drop several thousand dollars on everything you need, with probably several month wait time while your components get in.

I can't give advice on the other things you want to try, as I've never done them myself. Best of luck to you. I hope it works out for you.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2285 Times on 1365 Posts
Likes Given: 1064

Make sure you have the correct license from BATF for manufacturing ammo.

And reloading is manufacturing.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7609 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

First, the wok on guns requires you be licensed as an 01 FFL. The reloading of ammo requires a type 6 FFL. Or you can go for both at once as a type 7 FFL. Reloading of ammo also requires an ITAR license (about $2500 last time I looked).

Now, where are you planning to do this? Yes, you CAN get a FFL for a home based business- HOWEVER- to get those licenses, you will have to show you are in compliance with LOCAL laws- on things like ZONING. And a business license.

Before you talk about buying STUFF for a business, you need to see if you can met the legal requirements for the paper side of things. I would also STRONGLY urge you to either incorporate, or set up a LLC, and get your license under that. Limits your personal liability in the event of a lawsuit- unless you like living in a small apartment and eating Mac & cheese for the rest of your life.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
RDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
I would also STRONGLY urge you to either incorporate, or set up a LLC, and get your license under that. Limits your personal liability in the event of a lawsuit- unless you like living in a small apartment and eating Mac & cheese for the rest of your life.
This would depend on whether or not who's negligent. If he's a one man operation, which it sounds like he might be since he's just starting out, he could be sued as well as the company, ( which he is the company) ouch! It could protect him to a point if he had an employee who was negligent.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #6

Liked 160 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Add some liability insurance to the list.