Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Getting a job at a gun shop (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/getting-job-gun-shop-75240/)

texaswoodworker 10-28-2012 09:14 PM

Getting a job at a gun shop

I plan on moving to the Fort Worth/Arlington area next year so I can finish up school at UT Arlington, and I think it would be great to find a job at a gun shop. What would be the best way to go about doing this? I already know a lot about guns, but I'm always ready to learn more. Would it help my chances if I knew how to be a gun smith? If so, what should I try to learn?

Also, even know I'd LOVE to do this, I do need to make money to pay for college/bills. Do gun shops pay decent, or would I be working for peanuts?

Thanks

texaswoodworker 10-29-2012 01:50 AM

bump......

hiwall 10-29-2012 02:05 AM

they pay peanuts. the odds of getting a gun shop job is small so pay is kinda a moot point.

JD1969 10-29-2012 02:55 AM

Most jobs like this are in high demand (for part time help). I run a ski/snowboard shop, there are PLENTY of younger and even older people that want to work for me. Most want a part time gig, after their regular job. The pay is low, but there are lots of perks, I suspect a gun shop is very similar.

dog2000tj 10-29-2012 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 993365)
I plan on moving to the Fort Worth/Arlington area next year so I can finish up school at UT Arlington, and I think it would be great to find a job at a gun shop. What would be the best way to go about doing this? I already know a lot about guns, but I'm always ready to learn more. Would it help my chances if I knew how to be a gun smith? If so, what should I try to learn?

Also, even know I'd LOVE to do this, I do need to make money to pay for college/bills. Do gun shops pay decent, or would I be working for peanuts?

Thanks

deliver pizzas ... way more money than working in some small town gun shop ;)

or become a male stripper ... way more money than whatever lame azzed field of study you are throwing money at :p

SSGN_Doc 10-29-2012 01:30 PM

Yep, most work like any other retail job. Part time or full time with low pay and not a lot of benefits. It can also be like an alcoholic working in a bar....not always a greats net maker if you feed your habit at all.

Real gunsmiths can make some decent money, but that is pretty much a degree worthy job itself. By the time you get real machining training and experience. The right tools and establish a reputation and clientele then you have a career. There aren't many gunsmiths around any more so demand can be good for a certified gunsmith.

Being an armorer is a bit different, but even to be competitive there for a gunship job you'd need experience or a reputation for it to count in hiring.

mountainman13 10-29-2012 01:55 PM

Unless you own the shop or are a gunsmith you won't make much. I don't even get payed for working the shop (currently) I do however keep what I make from smith work and the owner profits from the parts I order because I use the company credit card to place the orders. He actually makes more than I do from a trigger job. Lol
I make good money when I have work and I benefit from getting dealer pricing from a few more distributors.
95% of what I make goes back into the shop anyway. Basically I work for free.

silverado113 10-29-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 994197)
Unless you own the shop or are a gunsmith you won't make much. I don't even get payed for working the shop (currently) I do however keep what I make from smith work and the owner profits from the parts I order because I use the company credit card to place the orders. He actually makes more than I do from a trigger job. Lol
I make good money when I have work and I benefit from getting dealer pricing from a few more distributors.
95% of what I make goes back into the shop anyway. Basically I work for free.

I don't get a paycheck yet for owning my shop :(

JTJ 10-29-2012 03:36 PM

I have turned down a few job offers because I would go broke working in a shop. I know several retired guys working in gun shops just to pay for their shooting supplies. They usually dont pay enough for someone young with a family to support.

mountainman13 10-29-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverado113

I don't get a paycheck yet for owning my shop :(

We will get there buddy. Lol