Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Future Gunsmithing - Electronic Firing Controls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Future Gunsmithing - Electronic Firing Controls

I have to admit this is an area I have some interest in though I feel conflicted about it due to a deep admiration for the mechanical and the developmental history of firearms.

I've been thinking about the advantages of using electronic firing controls for quite while now. I have some expertise in electronics and computers and was surprised to catch an episode of Future Weapons which featured the Metal Storm.

What is Metal Storm Technology?

Metal storm technology is an electronically initiated, stacked projectile system that removes the mechanical elements required to fire conventional weapons. Effectively, the only moving parts in Metal Storm technology are the projectiles themselves. Multiple projectiles are stacked in each barrel. The technology allows each projectile to be fired sequentially from each barrel.

How it Works.

Metal Storm stacks its projectiles in the barrels nose to tail. Metal Storm technology achieves its unique performance by having the ability to fire each round independent of the other. In other words when the propellant of one round in the stack is ignited the other rounds are not affected.

Rather than using a firing pin impacting on a primer, Metal Storm weapons are electronically fired. A computerised fire control system precisely controls the firing signal to each round in the barrel. As there is no need to mechanically reload the barrel after each round is fired, Metal Storm has complete control over the timing and rate of fire. As a result, the weapon can be used to deliver a single round or dozens of rounds instantaneously at the target. Moreover, when combined with airburst munitions, Metal Storm weapons can use precisely timed firing to create a pattern of fragmentation and blast to meet specific needs, such as to intercept an incoming RPG or missile.

Due to the light weight of Metal Storm barrels, most non-infantry configurations use multiple barrels, usually between 4 and 64. This provides increased firepower and the ability to mix munitions - to have a weapon configured to respond to different threats in different ways - such as having less than lethal or marker rounds instantly available as an alternative to the use of lethal force.

Today, Metal Storm converts conventional munition warheads, such as 40mm grenades, into Metal Storm munitions by attaching a special Metal Storm tailpiece, containing the propellant and primer. With this approach, Metal Storm can quickly adapt the certified warheads preferred by its customers to be used in a Metal Storm weapon system.

Multi Barrel Configuration - used for remote weapon, robotic and area denial

MAUL Launcher add on for assault rifles:

Other manufacturers are looking into electronic firing controls including some of the traditional big names like Beretta, Remington and so on. A lot of them are looking at them for weapons which use smart / adaptable ammunition such as non lethal weapons which adjust velocity based on the targets range in order to deliver just the right amount of force.

I have some design ideas I plan to work on once my machine shop is complete. One is a drop in kit to add electronic fire control to M-16 type rifles. I have to admit the idea of building a few robotic "area denial" cannons to deploy around the perimeter of my ranch (once I move to it) makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I'm looking forward to some comments and discussion with other gunsmiths and hobbyists on the technology.

‘‘War clouds were gathering rapidly. The sending of more than 3,000 British army regulars under Maj. Gen. Thomas Gage to Boston further exacerbated the imperial rift. When a column of these troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.’’ - The American Revolution Begins

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2009, 02:54 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It'll NEVER catch on in the sporting world, at least precision part. Reasons are this-each barrel adds to overall weight of weapon, they would have to be regulated, each "level" or front/rear position will provide for more velocity as they fired starting back from front, causing shift in impact.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
It'll NEVER catch on in the sporting world, at least precision part. Reasons are this-each barrel adds to overall weight of weapon, they would have to be regulated, each "level" or front/rear position will provide for more velocity as they fired starting back from front, causing shift in impact.
I can think of a few ways to deal with barrel length / velocity, especially in a system which uses electronic propulsion and firing. Metal Storm is clearly military tech - it's one extreme showing what's possible while the use of electronic firing mechanisms which are not so far "out there" does have some interesting possibilities.

Like I said, I'm conflicted on it - I love the mechanical elements of traditional firearms - both the simple and the complex. I've decided to concentrate on some other areas first, however. Namely, my education as a gunsmith and secondly the development of "open source" accessories such as optics.
‘‘War clouds were gathering rapidly. The sending of more than 3,000 British army regulars under Maj. Gen. Thomas Gage to Boston further exacerbated the imperial rift. When a column of these troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.’’ - The American Revolution Begins

Old 01-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's why I said it'll never catch on in sporting precision world and still mantain high rate of fire-there are trade offs-it's hard to have extreme firepower & precision in the same package. Not to mention legality of it. And I DO happen to be a gunsmith (27+ years now).