Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   fun projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/fun-projects-59092/)

Marlinman 02-29-2012 06:07 PM

fun projects
 
Just for ideas and giggles sake i decided to start this thread. Since im startin it ill lead off. Mine at the moment is rechambering a heavey barreled remington 700 30/06 to 35/06. Its a heavy kreiger target bbl set in a mcmillan a-5 stock with harris bi-pod and a timney trigger. Once i have it bored out ill button rifle it w a 1:10 twist. Any suggestions are good

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

texaswoodworker 02-29-2012 07:33 PM

I have never heard of a 35-06, but now I feel like I need one. :D Is it like a 35 Whelen? How do they shoot?

Marlinman 02-29-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
I have never heard of a 35-06, but now I feel like I need one. :D Is it like a 35 Whelen? How do they shoot?

Im taken 30/06 and borin it out for 35 rem bullets w 06 casings. And i dont know how itll shoot. Just sounded like a good project. I like 06 power and 35 cal bullets. Might be a good caliber for elk just not sure yet.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Marlinman 02-29-2012 07:49 PM

If memory serves it pretty much is the Whelen.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

texaswoodworker 02-29-2012 09:14 PM

sweet. Don't forget to post some pics. :D

winds-of-change 03-01-2012 04:47 AM

I don't have a project but I would like to get a hold of some very cheap broken down guns and see if I can clean them up and get them shooting. Someone posted on another thread he got 3 revolvers for $75.00 and he got them fixed up, cleaned and shooting. For that price, I'd love to work on a gun, see what I can learn and give it a try. I don't know where to get a broken down gun, though.

Also, I was told I would be receiving an AR lower receiver but I haven't gotten it yet. I hope the deal still goes through.

Marlinman 03-01-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I don't have a project but I would like to get a hold of some very cheap broken down guns and see if I can clean them up and get them shooting. Someone posted on another thread he got 3 revolvers for $75.00 and he got them fixed up, cleaned and shooting. For that price, I'd love to work on a gun, see what I can learn and give it a try. I don't know where to get a broken down gun, though.

Also, I was told I would be receiving an AR lower receiver but I haven't gotten it yet. I hope the deal still goes through.

Good place to look for guns like that is pawnshops, auctions, and swap meets.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Axxe55 03-01-2012 04:59 AM

jared, that is a 35 Whelen. a 30-06 necked up to use .358 diameter bullets. people liked the round because it gave good knock down power without having to use magnum cartridges and would work with larger weight bullets than the 30-06, plus would work in standard long actioned rifles. i really think this might be a good gun to build! sounds like fun.

Marlinman 03-01-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55
jared, that is a 35 Whelen. a 30-06 necked up to use .358 diameter bullets. people liked the round because it gave good knock down power without having to use magnum cartridges and would work with larger weight bullets than the 30-06, plus would work in standard long actioned rifles. i really think this might be a good gun to build! sounds like fun.

I thought it was after aaron said something bout it. Im also gonna build a scout rifle chambered in either 50 ae or 454 cassull....or both since the kits only $300 apiece;) they are supposed to be single shot bolt guns but i think i can make em take a box magazine if i can make the mags. Iv had pretty good luck with that so far so it should work out awesomely.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

mausershooter 03-01-2012 08:56 AM

Hello! I'm new here. I hope I'm replying correctly. The 35 Whelan is an awsome cartridge. There is also the 350 Howell. At one time you could buy properly stamped Howell brass.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:13 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.