FTF/slide locking back issues
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > FTF/slide locking back issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default FTF/slide locking back issues

I just bought a CZ-52, and I'm having problems with it. Every 2-3 rounds, the slide will lock back, and the round won't be stripped from the mag. The gun will eject (launch into the next county) spent brass just fine though. The slide just keeps locking back for some reason.

When the slide locks back, it is usually stubborn about releasing, and it will take a pretty firm pull (probably more than should be required. Not sure since this is my first CZ-52) to get it to release. If you don't do it just right, the slide will just move back just a little, and then return to where it was (in the locked open position). Though, it did release easy once while I was shooting. It locked back like I explained above, but this time it slammed home when I just barely touched it.

Any ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Do you have an extra magazine to try and see if you can rule out a magazine problem?

Old 12-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #3

No extra mag yet. The slide is stubborn about releasing even with the mag out though.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #4

Could it be the slide stop?

Old 12-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

The slide release/lock may be bent. It is supposed to lock the slide back on the last shot but if bent or the wrong one it will lock up the slide. Sometimes on every round.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-30-2013, 03:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The slide release/lock may be bent. It is supposed to lock the slide back on the last shot but if bent or the wrong one it will lock up the slide. Sometimes on every round.
I'll be sure to look for any bends in it. I'm about to take the gun apart, give it a REALLY good cleaning and oiling, inspect the slide release (and everything near it), and see if I can't get it working without having to order any parts.

I did go ahead and order 2 surplus mags from MidwayUSA though. They had them on sale for $14.16 each.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:12 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

its very easy to assemble a cz52 slide release/lock incorrectly causing this to happen or the spring for the release could be missing or very weak. i doubt its a mag issue as that would show up on last round fired as a fail to lock open

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #8

I think I found the problem. The slide release/safety detent spring doesn't seem to be working with the slide release correctly.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #9

Ok, here's what it's doing. The spring is under the slide release as opposed to above it as it should be. With an empty mag inserted, it will automatically move up and lock the slide open when the slide is pulled back.

When I put the spring above the slide release, it does not always let the slide release automatically move up and lock the slide open. However, I can manually move it up, and it will stay. I can also easily release it just by slightly pulling the slide back (like with any semi auto). No more firmly (hard and fast) pulling it back to get it to release. If it's locked open and I remove the mag, the slide releases and slams home.

So should I just replace the spring?

A pic for reference (not mine)

This is how the spring should be. Notice the end of the spring (the arm) is sitting on top of the slide release. The spring on mine was sitting under it. I moved it up, but experienced the problems described above.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 12-30-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Ok, here's what it's doing. The spring is under the slide release as opposed to above it as it should be. With an empty mag inserted, it will automatically move up and lock the slide open when the slide is pulled back.

When I put the spring above the slide release, it does not always let the slide release automatically move up and lock the slide open. However, I can manually move it up, and it will stay. I can also easily release it just by slightly pulling the slide back (like with any semi auto). No more firmly (hard and fast) pulling it back to get it to release. If it's locked open and I remove the mag, the slide releases and slams home.

So should I just replace the spring?

A pic for reference (not mine)

Spring on top is the correct orientation. All firearms with a slide lock require a spring to hold it in the down position so it doesn't do what yours was doing in your original post.

This is how the spring should be. Notice the end of the spring (the arm) is sitting on top of the slide release. The spring on mine was sitting under it. I moved it up, but experienced the problems described above.
Now that you fixed your first problem your now in the realm of either dirty or unlubed slide release or bad magazine or dirty magazine.

If you can take the magazine apart give the insides a good scrubbing and cleaning with clp. Clean the slide release and lube with clp. Just make sure the magazine isn't dripping with clp just a very very very light coat. If that doesn't work wait for the new mags as the spring in your current one is probably worn

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-30-2013 at 12:48 PM.