Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Front sight removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Front sight removal

Want to take this front site off my interarms mark x but I'm not sure how to get it off. I'm getting ready to blue the barrel and really would like it out of the way for that. And I'm not putting it back on cause I mounting a scope.

Also if nobody seen my other post in the longgun forum this gun is stumping me like I said its a interarms mark x but it chambered in 458x2 American and there is no nothing in any books or anywhere on the net about interarms ever chambering in 458 american everything was in winmag. I need to come up with more info on this gun can anyone help there too

image-1688829005.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Left handed metric crescent wrench would work well for this application

Old 05-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #3

Liked 248 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Take the hood off then drive the cross pin out and push the site insert out. If there's not a screw under the site insert then it's likely soldiered on so heat will likely remove it. If it's been soldiered you'll need to take the metal to raw steel so your finish sticks.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #4

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

About a 98% chance that it is soldered on.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #5

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
Want to take this front site off my interarms mark x but I'm not sure how to get it off. I'm getting ready to blue the barrel and really would like it out of the way for that. And I'm not putting it back on cause I mounting a scope.

Also if nobody seen my other post in the longgun forum this gun is stumping me like I said its a interarms mark x but it chambered in 458x2 American and there is no nothing in any books or anywhere on the net about interarms ever chambering in 458 american everything was in winmag. I need to come up with more info on this gun can anyone help there too
It is possible that someone not Interarms barreled it for 458 American, back in the 80's we used to use MarkX's when we didn't want to spend the time on a 98 action.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always