Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   FrogLube on the 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/froglube-1911-a-55289/)

2ndAmendmentFreedom 01-11-2012 11:05 PM

FrogLube on the 1911

Hey everyone,
I should be acquiring a nice Colt 1911 in about 2 weeks and I'm preparing all the tools I need etc for maintenance.
My biggest question right now regards lubing. I ordered some FrogLube being recommended all over the net and by people that I know personally. I will probably be heating the gun in my oven with the slide taken off (so that I don't burn myself disassembling the gun once it's hot). I'm just a bit worried that 150F will make the black paint flake. The gun I'm getting is the O1980RG and I don't think it's blue but black.

Let me know what you guys think.

Sniper03 01-12-2012 01:01 AM

2nd Amendment,

Your new pistol is coated with Cerekote not blued. You can look it up on the Internet. Obvioulsy removing all oil from your new pistol and using the cleaner supplied I would suggest rather than an oven that you might consider a good hair dryer on High working it slowly over the surface of your new pistol parts until the surface gets hot to the touch. Then following the installation instructions for the applying the Frog Lube. I do not think that the 150 degrees would hurt the cerekote finish at all since it is one fantastic protective finish. But do not know about possible adhesives used on sights and other parts. But like you, I am just leery of putting it in the oven.
A friend of mine is a State Trooper and he advised he used Frog Lube on his custom 45 1911 and shot almost 500 rounds with it before he started having malfunctions. He also is using it on his AR-15. That to me says something about the product although I am a little old fashion when it comes to lubes. Let us know how it works. And he also said that carbon and residue pretty much wipes right off with a cloth! WOW!
I may need to try some in the future!

2ndAmendmentFreedom 01-12-2012 03:32 AM

Great that's the word I was looking for: Cerakote :)
Ya hair dryer seems to be the safer approach, at least I can control the heat visually! I've seen some people even applying the oil on the outside of the gun (on the slide etc) to provide even better protection. 2 questions:
-Considering it has Cerakote coating, would it be useful to add FrogLube oil to it?
-Would it alter the look of the finish (making it glossy etc)?

Thanks a lot for your help Sniper03, you always answer my threads :)

2ndAmendmentFreedom 01-25-2012 12:20 AM

BUMP, applied FrogLube to the internals, should I coat the externals too?

wags296 01-26-2012 12:22 PM

Frog lube is great and you won't be disappointed. I set oven temp at 100 degrees. Don't think I will be using anything else but Froglube from now on