Fox Sterlingworth 20 Gauge Bolt

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Fox Sterlingworth 20 Gauge Bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2420 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 1228

Default Fox Sterlingworth 20 Gauge Bolt

I have my grandfather's Fox Sterlingworth 20g. Double F&F It is a fine double I have hunted with it since I was 12.
While thoroughly cleaning it inside and out. And lubricating all the parts. I noticed that the Bolt seems to have been improperly heat treated if they did. And it has quite a bit of wear and damage to it from years of operation. It still works OK but I would like to get another bolt for it. I checked with Numrich who does not have one. Does anyone know who might have one or could make one to spec.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2788 Times on 1615 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Do you have any pics?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What would be wrong with building the original bolt back to specs and heat treating it after you build it back & dress it? That's the easiest way to get it done if you can't find a bolt. Barring that you could take the bolt & use it as the pattern to make another.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-26-2011, 02:57 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I will probably need to disassemble the shotgun to get a good picture of it. To get the correct cuts and dimensions from it building it from a picture would be a lot of luck and a masterpiece it has all sorts of directional cuts, angles that act as camming surfaces. And I could send it out to a tool maker. The only thing I am afraid of is, being the airloom that it is. If it were to get lost WOW! I would be devastated. Obviously because who knows where there is another one.
If you have any feedback on this information please advise. Would sure like to locate one somewhere!

Old 03-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #5

Find a good gunsmith. If you cannot find one, Scott Null at S&S Sporting is a Master Gunsmith, has a heat treating oven, is a master machinest and could make one for you that would work 100%.
His prices are reasonable and he will not loose or damage your shotgun.
He can have it picked up at your house by Fed-X. Just package the gun in a good case, double wrap it with cardboard. He has had thousands of guns shipped to him over the years and Fed-X has yet to loose one. A couple have been misplaced by Fed-X, but they have always found them. It's rare for them to misplace one.
Properly packaged, it will not get damaged either.
His phone # is 208-313-1570.

I'm a retired gunsmith, was a darn good smith, Scott is the best I've ever seen. Expect at least 3 month wait, good smiths are always backed up. If you find a smith that will have it back in a week, he is most likely not a great smith unless he is doing you a favor and putting yours ahead of other guns.

John K

Last edited by rifleman55; 03-05-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Rifleman,

Thank you very much for the information! I will be in contact with Mike.