Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   found some really nice precision screwdrivers for cheap! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/found-some-really-nice-precision-screwdrivers-cheap-65680/)

St8LineGunsmith 06-02-2012 11:28 PM

found some really nice precision screwdrivers for cheap!

I was out at home depot today and I ran across some precision screwdriver sets on sale for 3 bucks a set they are made by husky
one set is a 28 piece with a ratcheting T handle the other set is a 30 piece with straight ratcheting handle
even if your local home depot don't have them on sale they are still priced pretty good and look to be very high quality. time will tell I guess.
just thought I would pass the bargan along:)

canebrake 06-02-2012 11:31 PM

Thanks for the info!

Any photos?

St8LineGunsmith 06-04-2012 05:11 AM

none other than what is in the links I posted
I can take a few pics of the sets I got if you wish:)

2ndAmendmentFreedom 06-04-2012 08:04 PM

Bought the 28 piece, about $10 with shipping. It'll replace my other cheap mini screw driver set!

Mongo 06-06-2012 02:27 AM

Screwdriver set

Are they ground for Gunsmith use?

St8LineGunsmith 06-06-2012 04:11 PM

That is what i bought them for.
no they are not an over priced set from Brownells but will work just as good.

triggerjob 06-07-2012 12:58 AM

Take one and insert the blade into a vice, then turn it as hard as you can with one hand, if it breaks, keep them away from your guns. But if they don't break buy another set, because "Brownells" is awefully proud of the things they sell.

Never mind, just checked your link I thought they were Hollow Ground set.

Don't vice test them, the ratchet handle will probly bust.

Mongo 06-07-2012 01:34 AM

Cheaper than dirt has "Gunsmith" screwdrivers at a better price than Brownells. Your blade screwdrivers need to be hollow ground to prevent damage to the screw head.

St8LineGunsmith 06-07-2012 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggerjob (Post 827420)
Take one and insert the blade into a vice, then turn it as hard as you can with one hand, if it breaks, keep them away from your guns. But if they don't break buy another set, because "Brownells" is awefully proud of the things they sell.

Never mind, just checked your link I thought they were Hollow Ground set.

Don't vice test them, the ratchet handle will probly bust.

dang dudeif i have to put that much torque on a screw something is bad wrong

a little trick i learned many years ago from an old gunsmith was to lightly hit the screw once with a impact driver using a 8 ounce ball peen will never have damaged screw heads and back right out with ease.

triggerjob 06-07-2012 06:35 AM

Well I guess it depends on how strong you are, or how brittle the screw drivers are. I used to be an electrician in another life and I broke quite a few dicount screwdrivers, untill I switched to Kline hand tools.