FNH FiveseveN locking up! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > FNH FiveseveN locking up!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well I'll probably contact FN then, but what's nagging me is that I have put around 300 rounds through it since I purchased it...50 of them being target rounds...and never had a problem! I mean it's a GREAT pistol, just jerking me around now.

Sent from my DROID3 using FirearmsTalk

Old 01-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #12

Liked 4782 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSlammo View Post
Now that you mention it, I did notice after my last attempt to fire it, during the afterward cleaning there was a noticeable amount of brass deposits, like something's shaving the casings. Would this only require a filing-down then?

I'm not a gun smith and don't know if your parts are forgings or MIM so I would check with a smith, but yes, if the slide lock is draging enough to produce metal shavings then there would be enough contact to activate it and cause the problem you describe.

Tack

Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #13

Liked 4782 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSlammo View Post
Well I'll probably contact FN then, but what's nagging me is that I have put around 300 rounds through it since I purchased it...50 of them being target rounds...and never had a problem! I mean it's a GREAT pistol, just jerking me around now.

What is the recommended round count for recoil spring replacement? It could be that initially the spring was stout enough to overpower the dragging but it's now weakened to the point that it no longer can. Regarded a well fit pistol should not generate substantial brass shavings.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #14

Okay...hopefully any repairs I need to get aren't too costly, this pistol wasn't cheap in the first place- let alone the ammunition.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #15

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Id call fn and get them to fix it if its still under warranty. If i payed that much for a firearm it better work everytime no questions asked.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #16

How are the ergonomics, and accuracy on your FiveseveN, I'm personally thinking of grabbing one up soon.

Never Forget.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine
How are the ergonomics, and accuracy on your FiveseveN, I'm personally thinking of grabbing one up soon.

Never Forget.
It's phenomenal, but it isn't for everybody. The accuracy is VERY exceptional...and the recoil is surprisingly low, so get used to the grips and 40 rounds later you can maintain accuracy as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I'm assuming you've taken the pistol down as far you're comfortable with and scrubbed out any deposits. Beyond that, call FN before you take it to a gunsmith. FN might know of the issue and you don't want to pay a dime if its something simple you can do yourself. Don't take a file to anything until you talk to FN though.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog
I'm assuming you've taken the pistol down as far you're comfortable with and scrubbed out any deposits. Beyond that, call FN before you take it to a gunsmith. FN might know of the issue and you don't want to pay a dime if its something simple you can do yourself. Don't take a file to anything until you talk to FN though.
You're correct, it'll take a bit more experience to disassemble this thing further than removing the slide...but I do a light oiling before a day of shooting and a thorough cleaning with a bit of CLP after I'm done, as with all my other firearms. I'll be calling FN today, and believe me, I wouldn't dare work with any parts of this handgun until I knew exactly what I was doing.