Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   FNH FiveseveN locking up! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/fnh-fiveseven-locking-up-54811/)

MegaSlammo 01-05-2012 03:26 AM

FNH FiveseveN locking up!

I can't put more than two rounds downrange without the slide locking to the rear as if my mag is empty, leading to me having to chamber to the next round and in the process chucking a perfectly good round to the ground. SO irritating and disappointing from a $1100 pistol! Any thoughts?

danf_fl 01-05-2012 08:37 AM

Where is your thumb when you shoot?
If you are right dominant, try to cover you right thumb with the left.

MegaSlammo 01-05-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
Where is your thumb when you shoot?
If you are right dominant, try to cover you right thumb with the left.

I'm shooting fine, it isn't my grip or my stance...there's something mechanically jacking up. I've even tried different magazines, target rounds and hollowpoints.

Sent from my DROID3 using FirearmsTalk

danf_fl 01-05-2012 03:56 PM

How does it do for someone else?

With it being fairly new, you may want to call Customer Service.

MegaSlammo 01-05-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
How does it do for someone else?

With it being fairly new, you may want to call Customer Service.

It does the same thing for anyone else who fires it. And I fear if I call them I may have to send it in, when I can just take it to a gunsmith in my area. Could this have anything to with my firing pin?

danf_fl 01-05-2012 05:02 PM

If it is under warranty, do you want to pay for the repair?

It has to deal with the slide stop. It could be that loose lips of the mag allow the rounds to hit it.
It could be that the mag release is loose and allows the mag to ride up and activate the stop.

If it were firing pin, the slide would not lock back, but fail to go into battery.

MegaSlammo 01-05-2012 05:05 PM

That's a good point...and the possible broken parts aren't within my skill of DYI...plus a gunsmith would probably charge an arm and a leg.

Tackleberry1 01-05-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSlammo (Post 667932)
I can't put more than two rounds downrange without the slide locking to the rear as if my mag is empty, leading to me having to chamber to the next round and in the process chucking a perfectly good round to the ground. SO irritating and disappointing from a $1100 pistol! Any thoughts?

I'm not familiar with this design but I have known other auto pistols locking the slide to the rear on every other shot. This is usually due to the slide lock being machined slightly too long and protruding into the mechanism far enough to be activate by the next port side round in the double stack magazine.

Most slide lock/levers do protrude into the gun near the mag. I would check the interior face of it for brass transfer and if found, have a gun smith "lightly" file it down until it stops contacting the port side rounds in the mag.

Tack

MegaSlammo 01-05-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

I'm not familiar with this design but I have known other auto pistols locking the slide to the rear on every other shot. This is usually due to the slide lock being machined slightly too long and protruding into the mechanism far enough to be activate by the next port side round in the double stack magazine.

Most slide lock/levers do protrude into the gun near the mag. I would check the interior face of it for brass transfer and if found, have a gun smith "lightly" file it down until it stops contacting the port side rounds in the mag.

Tack

Now that you mention it, I did notice after my last attempt to fire it, during the afterward cleaning there was a noticeable amount of brass deposits, like something's shaving the casings. Would this only require a filing-down then?

Tackleberry1 01-05-2012 05:15 PM

I know the Kahr P380 had similar problems on the initial run and my suggestion above was thier factory fix.

Tack