Floating vs. Bedding

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Floating vs. Bedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Floating vs. Bedding

What are the advantages of bedding vs. floating a barrel? Wouldn't bedding give one side of the barrel something to 'push' off of? Isn't that what you're trying to avoid by floating a barrel?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My (novice) understanding is that you bed the receiver portion only but float the barrel...but I may be mistaken.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #3

Liked 65 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
What are the advantages of bedding vs. floating a barrel? Wouldn't bedding give one side of the barrel something to 'push' off of? Isn't that what you're trying to avoid by floating a barrel?
"Floating" is usually bedding the action and about 1" to 1.5" of the barrel in front of the action. It lets the barrel vibrate without any restricting pressure.

"Full length bedding" extends this all the way along the front forearm. It dampens the barrel vibrations.

I've got a pair 270s bedded both ways. Each will shoot 1/2" groups. The one freefloated, is not near as fussy about bullet selection as the one FLB!

PS: I have a 458 Win Mag that is free floated and I'm going to FLB it so as to make the action, barrel and stock more robust due to the heavy recoil.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This is not a constant for every case but you usually get better accuracy by bedding the receiver & free floating the barrel. Just like the poster above said, free floating the barrel lets it vibrate the same way every time you fire it.

Also free floating the barrel keeps the stock from putting pressure in case of warpage. It also makes it less picky about resting the forend on support such as when shooting off bench, bipod, or otherwise resting the rifle. I usually recommend bedding the action & free floating the barrel.

In some cases the barrel will shoot better with upward pressure from the forend. You just have to experiment and see what your rifle prefers.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I see now. I thought bedding referred to the whole stock/barrel, not just the action area. Now it makes sense.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 05-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I bed the receiver and about an 1" to 1.5" of the barrel.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

There is also another method where the barrel is epoxied into a large aluminum block and the action floats in the stock and the barrel does as well. I have only seen this used on bench rest guns that have rather Large barrels. The one I seen up close was a 300 AI 300 Weatherby with the shoulder blowin out to 35* and boy does it wing a 220gr SMK down range.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
There is also another method where the barrel is epoxied into a large aluminum block and the action floats in the stock and the barrel does as well. I have only seen this used on bench rest guns that have rather Large barrels. The one I seen up close was a 300 AI 300 Weatherby with the shoulder blowin out to 35* and boy does it wing a 220gr SMK down range.
Like this one?

Ah, I guess not this is kind of the opposite of what you're talking about, I think. But it reminded me of your post when I saw it.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!