Fixing cracked stock
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Fixing cracked stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Default Fixing cracked stock

I guys I just got a cheap .22 rifle for 50 bucks. It had a cracked stock at one point that has been repaired. Is there a good product or way to fill the crack where it broke? I hope this pic attaches...

image-2986041756.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3104 Times on 1784 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

For that price, I would not worry too much about looks.

I would disassemble, then use a common wood glue, clamp it together for 24 hours, and finished with a wood filler and stain.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Take the rifle out of the stock... get you some acra-glass... I take and drill a small hole down through the crack, and insert a steel pin of some kind.... mix up a small amount of the acra-glass, fill in the crack, (overfill actually) let it dry for 48 hours... sand down to stock level.

Pick up your favorite color or spray paint... and paint the stock. I have done about a dozen of these over the years.... my buddies pick up a cheap .22 for the kids, and it has a broken stock, I fix it up this way... paint it pink for the girls (if they like pink) or green, blue, I have even done some custom camo...

The kids love it... they have a one of a kind .22.

A true Gentleman always provides covering fire while his lady is reloading. It is only proper.

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Old 07-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #4

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntbear
Take the rifle out of the stock... get you some acra-glass... I take and drill a small hole down through the crack, and insert a steel pin of some kind.... mix up a small amount of the acra-glass, fill in the crack, (overfill actually) let it dry for 48 hours... sand down to stock level.

Pick up your favorite color or spray paint... and paint the stock. I have done about a dozen of these over the years.... my buddies pick up a cheap .22 for the kids, and it has a broken stock, I fix it up this way... paint it pink for the girls (if they like pink) or green, blue, I have even done some custom camo...

The kids love it... they have a one of a kind .22.
Thanks for the advice. The stock is already repaired in that it is glued back together already. I just want to make the crack look better. Are there different color wood fillers or do I need to stain it all when I am done?

Old 07-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #5

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Any hardware store will have wood filler. Or fill the existing crack with epoxy that is mixed with a little wood dust(from sanding). The wood dust will give it added strength and color. Or use epoxy without the wood dust.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Here's how I did it;

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/my-tango-plunkungfest-westeren-auto-120-a-14041/#post108809

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #7

Liked 248 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 320

canebreak is on the right track
if the cracked area is weak enough it can be pulled apart pull it apart and apply a two part epoxy then apply pressure to get it back as close to its original position with furniture clamps and allow to cure.
once cureddrill a 3/8" dia hole cross ways through the cracked area apply 2 part epoxy into the hole and smear some on a 3/8' hard wood dowel and drive into the hole and bottom it out. cut off flush and sand smooth and flush with the stock.

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA