firing pin question - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

firing pin question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 03:52 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 567 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Just my opinion, you are venturing off into some dangerous territory. From my understanding you are not a gunsmith but you are trying to act like one. Guns are designed to work a certain way and all of the parts have a job to do. When you start messing with those parts, you introduce the possibility of human error and you might have a bad day real quick.

To be honest, I think you are over thinking this problem. Before trying to lighten springs and what not, just get that new firing pin in the gun, replace with full strength springs, and go from there bud. If you have to replace parts, do it one thing at a time and the test fire 25-50 rounds to see if it fixes the problem. I understand where you are coming from because I have the tendency to operate the same way. I try to fix something and while I am "fixin" something I see a way that I could "improve" it at the same time. Before I know it I have a dozen pieces that have been modified or moved and I can't put whatever I am working on back together like it was in the first place. That drove my mother bat s**t crazy when I was growing up.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 04-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #32

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

+1 man. Buy original springs put the pistol back to stock and then send it back to Kel-Tec for them to fix. Hammer springs, firing pin springs and trigger springs are the weights they are for a reason. The firing pin spring is in there to prevent the firing pin from striking the primers when the action cycles. Changing that can result in a pistol that slam fires and blows up in your face or runs full auto and gets you to shoot yourself in the head or drop it and hit someone else at the range. If you were having light strikes before, changing the hammer spring out for a lighter one can only make it worse. Most automatic pistols don't let there hammers rest with much tension on them. They rely on the inertia of the hammer to drive it home. By lightening the hammer spring you have slowed the hammer down and it doesn't have enough force to do its job. The firing pin might be worn out but considering that this pistol was used when you got it, it could just as likely be a headspace issue. Automatic pistol cartridges use the mouth of the case as a stop when the firing pin hits the cartridge. If the chamber is out of tolerances a new firing pin will still not be long enough and you will not be able to fix it yourself without spending as much as a new pistol would cost. Kel-Tec has the equipment to make all the necessary measurements and test fire the pistol safely. In my opinion you would be better off letting them fix it.

Last edited by highpowerguy; 04-21-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #33
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3479 Times on 1995 Posts
Likes Given: 1529

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerd71 View Post
You're right. However, I had problems before I even touched the trigger. Also, when I lightened the hammer spring, I also lightened the firing pin spring to compensate just enough to even out the change.
What problems did you have at the beginning?
Snipping springs could have contributed to the original problem.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #34

Likes Given: 2

I'll try to clear this up. At first, I was getting very blunt marks on my primer and it wasn't always going off. Im aware that lightening the trigger won't fix it. I was seeing how I liked it, that's all. Im also aware that shortening springs isn't recommended, but I found a few people that tried it. They all said it worked fine, but it failed the drop test. I didn't go as far as they did and I've tested numerous times. Now, having said that, a new firing pin without a worn tip will be longer. Therefore, it could potentially puncture primers. When I get my new parts, I will be putting in the new spring and pin and make sure it fires before doing anything else. I only change one thing at a time and I do it very slowly.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #35

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A new firing pin will be longer, however if the chamber is out of spec you will only be putting a bandaid on. Once the part wears in you will be right back where you started. I can't understand why you would want to do that when you can probably get Kel-Tec to fix it for free and likely never have to deal with it again.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #36

Kel Tec is already sending me the replacement parts. If they don't fix the problem, I was already going to send it in. I'm just trying this first. KT has a 2+ month turnaround right now.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #37

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you have a set of dial calipers measure the old firing pin and new one. That will give you an idea whether or not you are on the right track. Also you can ask Kel-Tec what the tolerances are on that part that way you can check the new one before you put it in. The number one rule of trouble shooting is don't assume anything.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #38

UPDATE: the new firing pin was exactly the same as the old one, even under the magnifying lens. I was concerned about how the primer looked after firing, but apparently thats normal. In response to my trigger job, I adjusted my hammer spring to my liking, then trimmed my FP spring one coil at a time like on 1bad69.com. My end result was that the spring had to be trimmed to the same length as the tip of the firing pin with the spring is on. I havent had a misfire yet, and my trigger pull is about 7lbs. It made a huge difference. I will use the lighter trigger setup for the range for now, and factory for carry until I put a few more rounds through it.

Thanks fellas

Old 08-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #39
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3479 Times on 1995 Posts
Likes Given: 1529

I don't understand something.
The site 1bad69.com is an individual's site and posted is the action he took on his (and the article was not attributed to the author).

This site has more people with more experience who have probably seen more screwed up guns.

Is he a Kel-Tec professional?

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #40

From my experience, no gun manufacturer recommends ANY mod not done by them. Having said that, all the supposed KT "experts" (some even from the KTOG) have also given me bad advice. Basically, its just do what you will, but ensure safety and reliability, which I am testing. So far, the results are satisfactory. But as I stated, I will not use my mod out of practice until I am fully confident.