firing pin question - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > firing pin question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #21
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3390 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 1457

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerd71 View Post
I noticed that my Kel Tec P11 has a very dull tip. Its about 4 times wider than any firing pin on any other firearm I own. The P3AT however, has a much finer tip. Is it possibly to safely file a slight bevel on the tip of a firing pin to reduce the light strikes? I understand that too much of a bevel would form a point, possibly puncturing the primer. Im just wondering if a very faint bevel would help.
This is the info (without pictures) that was originally posted.

If there were pictures to assist in your first post, there would not have been so many responses and the final action you are taking would have been suggested sooner.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #22

Likes Given: 2

I stand corrected, even though fa35 told me about the primer fill, which was another concern. Primer fill was not my original question. You WERE the first one to suggest that I need a new pin. However, I do not retort upon my comment about opinions being reliable (myself included). Nobody has all the answers and uncertainty is the easiest denial of liability. Had I told somebody the fix and it didnt help, I wouldn't want them to call bs on me either. Its understandable. However, the only thing I didn't appreciate was criticizing me for a mod that's apparently pretty common (FP spring). I understand that its not recommended. But just because you personally wouldn't do it, that doesn't make me an idiot.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #23

Liked 813 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Actually you still do not know what is causing your FTF as it is not fixed yet is it?
In 20 years or more of gunsmithing I have never seen or heard of a firing pin "wearing out". They break or people mess with them or it is another part that is causing the problem.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #24

Im used to seeing FTF mean failure to feed. Hiwall/Hossfly, was yours meant to mean failure to fire? I have not received my parts from the mail. Therefore, I cannot be certain. Im with you hiwall. I've never heard of it either. But it seemed wierd that it was so blunt. Mine was only firing about 1/10. I could see a dent in the primer originally, but it was very shallow. I finally have a computer to use, so I am adding the picture of the firing pins. The top one is new but meant for a P3AT and the bottom one is mine. Its very hard to see, but the top one is slightly finer.
wp_000163.jpg  

Last edited by cerd71; 04-19-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #25

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Don't take this personally, but fa35jsf was the only that could tell me if there was something wrong with my firing pin. Everyone else, including you would have led me to the wrong conclusion. The opinions and perspectives of the members on this forum aren't exactly a reliable source of info, but there is a tidbit of good information every now and then.
Quote:
Im used to seeing FTF mean failure to feed. Hiwall/Hossfly, was yours meant to mean failure to fire? I have not received my parts from the mail. Therefore, I cannot be certain. Im with you hiwall. I've never heard of it either. But it seemed wierd that it was so blunt. Mine was only firing about 1/10. I could see a dent in the primer originally, but it was very shallow. I finally have a computer to use, so I am adding the picture of the firing pins. The top one is new but meant for a P3AT and the bottom one is mine. Its very hard to see, but the top one is slightly finer.
Thought you had your answer

Old 04-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #26
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

How do the two compare in length?

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 04-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #27

To hossfly: technically, hiwall is right. Its not actually fixed until I get my new parts and verify. They haven't arrived in the mail yet.

Dan: I think i mentioned it before, but these two firing pins are from different models. The top was from a p3at. The bottom is the one in question from my p11. They were both part number #170 and $2.50 from Kel Tec. I hate being on the phone for 30+ mins so I just ordered it. They are not the same.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #28
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

p/n: p11-170
and
p/n: p3at-170

170 was only partial number.

You do know about the Kel-Tec lifetime warranty? This is from their website:
How do I get a broken or lost part for my Kel-Tec firearm? Broken parts must be replaced and are usually covered under our lifetime warranty, free of charge. The only charge to you is shipping the broken part or firearm to our factory. Lost parts are not covered by the warranty and must be purchased from customer service, here.

What kind of warranty does Kel-Tec provide? The exact warranty terms and conditions can be found in the back of the instruction manual that came with your Kel-Tec product. It usually covers defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the product and for the ORIGINAL OWNER only. Only Kel-Tec manufactured products are covered by this warranty, for exact details please consult your manual or download a copy here.

(If the original owner did not fill out the warranty card........)

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Most handgun trigger jobs involve changing out or altering the hammer spring to reduce pull weight. This can come at the expense of reliability. If you lightened your trigger and then had problems with weak firing pin strikes I would look in that direction before I assumed the firing pin had gone bad.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #30

You're right. However, I had problems before I even touched the trigger. Also, when I lightened the hammer spring, I also lightened the firing pin spring to compensate just enough to even out the change.