Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   firing pin question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/firing-pin-question-88862/)

cerd71 04-15-2013 04:02 PM

firing pin question

I noticed that my Kel Tec P11 has a very dull tip. Its about 4 times wider than any firing pin on any other firearm I own. The P3AT however, has a much finer tip. Is it possibly to safely file a slight bevel on the tip of a firing pin to reduce the light strikes? I understand that too much of a bevel would form a point, possibly puncturing the primer. Im just wondering if a very faint bevel would help.

danf_fl 04-15-2013 05:43 PM

Is the tip "mushroomed"?

Is it giving you unreliable ignition?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

hiwall 04-15-2013 06:35 PM

If you are getting light strikes that cause FTF, I would look elsewhere for the problem. Unlikely it is the firing pin(though possible).

fa35jsf 04-15-2013 07:00 PM

Parts online from Kel-Tec are EXTREMELY inexpensive. I bought 3 of every part I thought could possible break on my gun for $40

HOSSFLY 04-15-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerd71 (Post 1214724)
I noticed that my Kel Tec P11 has a very dull tip. Its about 4 times wider than any firing pin on any other firearm I own. The P3AT however, has a much finer tip. Is it possibly to safely file a slight bevel on the tip of a firing pin to reduce the light strikes? I understand that too much of a bevel would form a point, possibly puncturing the primer. Im just wondering if a very faint bevel would help.

If your not getting any FTF's leave it be-
Had the same gun & had no problems with it except---well----for another time :o

cerd71 04-16-2013 12:45 PM

Im not sure if its damaged honestly. I bought it used and KT is out of stock of them. It just seems like a very broad tip...almost flat. It didnt fire every time and when it did, the primer still looked completely flat. It almost looked like the dent that's usually in the primer was filled in.

HOSSFLY 04-16-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerd71 (Post 1215649)
Im not sure if its damaged honestly. I bought it used and KT is out of stock of them. It just seems like a very broad tip...almost flat. It didnt fire every time and when it did, the primer still looked completely flat. It almost looked like the dent that's usually in the primer was filled in.

Seems you need a new one-
Numrich is sold out----
Common problem with that Mdl mabe :confused:

cerd71 04-16-2013 01:07 PM

It sticks out .0515" but it just seemed really blunt. I bought a p3at pin just to see what the tip looks like and it put mine to shame. But that's comparing not only 2 models, but .380 to a 9. I dont quite know how they differ.

fa35jsf 04-16-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerd71 (Post 1215649)

Yes it sounds like you might need a new firing pin but as far as the primer looking flat or "filled in", thats called primer flow and is common on KT's because the firing pin hole is usually oversized and there is considerable space between the FP and the hole that allows the pressure inside of the case to push the primer back into that whole some. Stay tuned, I will post a pic of my spent cases from my PF9

fa35jsf 04-16-2013 01:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is my spent brass