Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Firearms manufacturing companies/ starting one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Yea in my summers I been trying to get jobs at machine shops and try to get as much info as I can from my cousin who works in remington. I know it's not something easy but I would rather work with guns for the rest of my life than make a lot of money doing anything else

Old 09-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19839 Times on 11263 Posts
Likes Given: 50009

most of these guys are giving you good advise and information. another obstacle to consider is the present state of our economy. trying to find someone to lend start up capital for you to get going is going to be hard. not trying to be a wet blanket to your dream, just pointing out reality. times are tough and money is tight.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #13

I'm not a business major so I'll let others speak to that point and speak just on the technical with my humble opinion as an engineer. I think unless you found a specific "gun engineering program" don't waste your time with an engineering program. Being a professional engineer is not required to design a gun and you will not find the word gun in any professional engineering exam to receive profession licensure. I would start with gun smithing school, work and learn that trade and take a few classes in machining. Take some courses in computer aided drafting and manufacturing (CAD/CAM). This will allow you to digitally design parts for a gun and generate machine drawings. Take the part drawings to a machine shop and sub out that work until you are able to perform in house (very high cost equipment). Take any additional courses you feel you need to bridge the gaps (metallurgy, etc). I feel a good quality machining course will teach you all you need about metallurgy. Basically design your own curriculum for what you need.