Firearms manufacturing companies/ starting one
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Firearms manufacturing companies/ starting one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Firearms manufacturing companies/ starting one

In general, how did these guys start their own buisness. I would love to start a big company and manufacture guns. I know being a plain gunsmith there is hardly any money involved. But if I had a good idea and wanted to manufacture a line of new products, how would I go about that? should I get a buisness degree or some type of degree in college and then go to gunsmithing school. Or just go to gunsmithing school and then try to work for a little and then try to start making your products? If I were to start one I dont want to be a huge companie like remington or colt etc. Something like ed brown is kinda what im looking to do. He does 1911 and rifles and thats it. Could I start off small and progressivly get bigger and still make money and not go broke? I will take anyone opinion and help they could give me. thanks for your time!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would think gunsmithing school & a degree in design/engineering would be a good start. Knowing about small business wouldn't hurt either. It sounds like a lot of schooling but you'll need all those skills & more if you're going to succeed. The thing to do is offer a product/service that ain't already out there or is superior to the others out there for a decent price.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #3

Default Manufacture guns

"
In general, how did these guys start their own buisness. I would love to start a big company and manufacture guns"
Then you'll need "big Money" to start.
an 07 FFL for 2
a good firearms attorney
a building big enough to house the manufacuring machinery(lathe; milling machine;surface grinder;maybe heat treat equiptment and ad infinitem
you will need also a good business plan to follow, and decide on what type of guns you want to "manufacture"
Ruger manufactures guns by making the receiver;making the barrel;making or subbing the stocks/grips. then assembly and shipment to distributors.

Maybe I have a different definition of your use of the work manufacture
if you are talking about "customizing a gun, well that's a lot different.
the first step there is having enough experience to get noticed in that area.
with the great number of custom gunsmiths that will be a big hurdle

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Last edited by triggerman770; 08-07-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The first step in the process after your education would be to leave New Jersey and move to a gun friendly State.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here's one.....Bring money.....Tons of it!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #6

Default manufacturing

I missed the part about New Jerksey.
in that case call Sarco they'll tell you how it is to deal with the STATE(or is that Reich) goverment. my customer can buy a gun from them and have it shipped to me for transfer. I am an FFL and cannot buy guns or receivers from them as I am not the end user. not federal just New JerKsey

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Old 08-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8826 Times on 3820 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

Besides meeting the LEGAL requirements (manufacturer's license, business license, etc) you will need to know- or have trusted partners/ employees that know-

1. Business. What is net 30? What is a Dun & Bradstreet? What are accounts payable? Do I lease or buy? How do I calculate payoll? Who do I send Social Security and Medicare deductions do- how often, how much? What do you mean, I can't fire him?

2. Insurance. You will need it for property, equipment, stock, workers (workers comp) and liability

3. A business attorney. Incorporate? How structured? In what state do I incorporate. Taxes? Patents? Marketing plans?

It is more than having a lathe and a Bridgeport miller.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
leave New Jersey and move to a gun friendly State.
Like Massachusetts

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #9

Yea I was really planning on getitng out of new jersey because this really is a bad state for guns. But what I really wanted was a small place for ar-15 receiver and 1911's. The reason for this is just because I have a couple ideas I want to add the these parts that I think would sell pretty nice. But im not looking for a huge place where I am making every single part. Just a couple milling machines to make the receivers and eventually add on if I need to.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #10

Liked 248 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Do you know anything about machining steel? A degree in business and knowing how to dot all the i,s and cross all the t,s is helpful but if you can't figure out how to machine accurate parts in a timely manner you will go broke. Before you dive to far into this I'd say try and find a job working for some of these guys that have been doing this for a while. Also manufacturing a product and getting it to the point that people are buying it is not an easy prospect. This must also be more than just wanting to make money, it must be a passion for you. It must be something you think and dream of when everyone around you is thinking and dreaming of what they're going to do with their day off or whatever.

Rome wasn't built in one day my friend, keep that in mind. Now go talk to some of the older guys that have been at this a while and see what they have to say. Also as someone that has been machining things for 32 years and now self-employeed ours is a trade that college can't teach you it's learned from experience.