Fire lapping and cryo-treatment
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Fire lapping and cryo-treatment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 04:59 AM   #1
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8184 Times on 4420 Posts
Likes Given: 17388

Default Fire lapping and cryo-treatment

Just another way to separate a fool and his money?

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2014, 06:15 AM   #2

Liked 1279 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 612

And just why would you have that opinion?

There are many shooters that have positive results with both processes. I'm a firm believer in the fire lapping process on barrels that have bad tooling marks in the bore.
My Savage 110 FLP 25/06 had one of the worst barrels that I've ever seen.It shot patterns not groups when it was brand new,and would copper foul so bad in a few shots that it would take days to clean the copper out of it. I hand lapped the barrel twice with very little improvement,it would only shoot 100 grain bullets after that.
I fire lapped it as a last resort before tossing the factory barrel,and that brought the rifle alive. It is a fantastic shooting rifle now.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 08-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I was reading about both processes and they sounded too good to be true.
That's one yea on barrel lapping.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #4

Liked 358 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

I used a Krieger stainless heavy contour barrel when building my match AR. It was double cryo treated. Once before contouring the blank, and once again after. All Krieger barrels are hand lapped. The gun shoots better than I can is all I can say. How much (if any) of that can be contributed to the cryo process, I can't say.

I also built a 1903A3 rifle using a NOS, short chambered, 2-groove Remington barrel that was still in the wrapper. After cleaning the barrel of all cosmoline and inspecting the bore, I was shocked to find rifling grooves that looked like they were cut with a dull butter knife.

Horrible rough chatter marks that would shred a cleaning patch to bits when passed through the barrel. I spent quite a bit of time hand lapping the barrel until it was slick as snot. It's the best shooting 1903 I own. Go figure.

Fire lapping can help, but it all depends on the condition of the bore that you have to start with. It's not going to bring a worn out barrel back to life.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post

Fire lapping can help, but it all depends on the condition of the bore that you have to start with. It's not going to bring a worn out barrel back to life.
I thought that was the purpose?

Old 08-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9919 Times on 4270 Posts
Likes Given: 1563

Worn barrel means oversized bore. Lapping- by hand, machine, fire or tongue- wears away material. Your oversized bore becomes even more oversize.

However, if you have a good but ROUGH bore, It can help smooth the bore. Not a fix all for all problems.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 08-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6339 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 469

My rra national match ar15a2 uses a cryo treated wilson arms barrel it shoots rings around every other rifle i have. I run it open sights and its a submoa rifle out to 300yards.

Cryo wont make a shoddy barrel better but what it does do is stress relief a barrel allowing repeated shots to poa as the barrel heats up. It decreases poi shift from heat in a properly constructed barrel.

Your average remington is going to see no benefit from the process. Taking a barrel off a rifle to have it cryo treated is probably not going to help. I wouodnt go out of my way to have it done as only the barrel maker knows if the composition of their barrels will benefit from the process or not.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 08-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #8

Liked 358 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Metals contain internal stresses because of the way the raw material is formed through rollers or extrusion dies. Especially on the surface. If you remove a good portion of material from one side of a piece of cold rolled steel bar stock for example, the rest of the bar can warp like a banana.

Now imagine having a raw barrel blank that has been bored though perfectly straight and true. Then you begin to remove the outer surface of the steel barrel blank in order to obtain a particular profile to fit the rifles stock. The stresses give way, the steel moves, and your perfectly straight bore is no longer straight. That is why barrel manufacturers have machinery to "straighten" barrels.

Using cryogenics helps to reduce those residual stresses and helps to control unwanted movement of the material. The type of material used, and the order in which machining operations are done all play a part in how well well a barrel will hold it's proper "shape" through a range of temperatures.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Wow, I never run across services that actually work. Maybe I shouldn't be so skeptical.

People Like This 
Old 08-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22085 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
I used a Krieger stainless heavy contour barrel when building my match AR. It was double cryo treated. Once before contouring the blank, and once again after. All Krieger barrels are hand lapped. The gun shoots better than I can is all I can say. How much (if any) of that can be contributed to the cryo process, I can't say.

I also built a 1903A3 rifle using a NOS, short chambered, 2-groove Remington barrel that was still in the wrapper. After cleaning the barrel of all cosmoline and inspecting the bore, I was shocked to find rifling grooves that looked like they were cut with a dull butter knife.

Horrible rough chatter marks that would shred a cleaning patch to bits when passed through the barrel. I spent quite a bit of time hand lapping the barrel until it was slick as snot. It's the best shooting 1903 I own. Go figure.

Highpower, i understand cryo-treatment and have heard of fire-lapping, but could you go into some detail on how fire-lapping is done?