"Fire Formed" brass don't fit?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > "Fire Formed" brass don't fit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default "Fire Formed" brass don't fit?

Put a new barrel on my 30-06 model 700. I have always only "neck sized" my brass, and the old brass didn't fit the new barrel (no surprise here). I "full case" sized the brass, and all is fine. Worked up some loads and went to the range. I have 3 of 6 combos that are already sub-MOA! I'm thinking I love my new barrel! But when I made up the next set of test rounds (neck sized only), they will not chamber? This is the same brass that was fired from this barrel? They were a little tight to eject, but not to the point that I was at all concerned.

I guess my question is this; can this be saved (short of gun-smithing heroics), or should I just go ahead and have the thing chambered to a 300? Should the gunsmith that fit my barrel Fess up here, or is his obligations done (it does shoot spec ammo)? Anyone know a GOOD gunsmith in the Savannah Area? I really wasn't expecting to spend more money on this thing!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It is a new chamber and mabey the chamber is polished to smooth. I would shoot it and basicaly break in the barrle and chamber full length resize for a while and then after the polishing is knocked off try just neck sizing after that.
How many rounds does it have down the tube?
I would figure after around 200 or so you should not have this problem.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 10-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

If your brass was:

1) Still hot when you ejected it &

2) A little tight to eject

I would expect that some of the swelling of the brass happened after you removed it from the chamber, and thus you would have a problem trying to put it back in, since it was left to it's own devices.

If you have a tight chamber, this could be the issue. The thing is just "-" that much too tight all the way around to allow for reloads.

I am afraid it is early and my head isn't exactly on straight, so I don't have any immediate answer for you in addition to the fact that I am nowhere near the reloader that half the guys here are.

But I will bump this up and ask for help from the guys.

JD

Old 10-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I would smoke a cartridge to see just exactly where you are hitting in the chamber.

A tight chamber is exactly what you want. Factory chambers tend to be towards the larger side of SAMMI specs.

What kind of throat was put in it? Maybe your bullets are too long.

It might be because your are full length sizing the brass you are bumping the neck back just enough to chamber. Are you using a neck sizing die or are you using a FL sizing die and adjusting it to neck size?

If you are using a FL die to neck size you are not bumping the shoulder back and that is your problem.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #5

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
If you are using a FL die to neck size you are not bumping the shoulder back and that is your problem.
I think tango is right on the money. You need to bump the shoulder back about 1 or 2 thou, and I think you'll be golden assuming your case length and chamber throat are in harmony.

I load mainly for semi-autos, but I still follow the above for my long range rounds. I use Redding competition dies for those utilizing the type S - full bushing dies. I can adjust the die body to give me a .002" bump on the shoulder so that I don't under-size the case, yet I can adjust the amount of neck sizing independently of the die body.

Those dies are the berries IMHO. YMMV.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds to me that you need to adjust your FL resizing die to "kiss" the shoulder just a bit harder. It's common for just a couple thousands of a inch of neck to remain unsized when using FL dies and neck sizing. I'd also back off a grain or so of powder and check to see that your necks don't need to be turned. It sounds like the chamber is correctly reamed to me or the FL resized ammo would give you problems as well.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-30-2010, 01:13 AM   #7

There are only about 75 rounds thru it. I would love for you to be right. I was wondering about actually polishing it more (close to the bolt?? Like maybe the taper is "just" off?

Old 10-30-2010, 01:28 AM   #8

The barrel might have been warm at the range; I thought maybe the brass might be swollen in the middle, but the Mic doesn't show it? When the brass don't fit, it is by about an 1/8" or more shy from chambering? I ment to address everyone that replied (i really do thank ya'll for the input), but it looks like I am just being added to the bottom. To the guy with the ability to "neck and shoulder" only, thanks, but I can't do that with my dies( don't think that I'm not interested if the shoulder is the problem!) That would be sweet. I will try and die or "Smoke" the brass and figure out just where the problem is. I just got a bit excited about the problem and posted before thinking past "poor taper" or "out-of-round chamber". "Man, you gotta love the internet and people willing to share ideas to your problems"!!

Old 10-30-2010, 02:04 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5799 Times on 3028 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
It is a new chamber and mabey the chamber is polished to smooth. I would shoot it and basicaly break in the barrle and chamber .... I would figure after around 200 or so you should not have this problem.
F.K.
i would do this first. i bought 250 rounds of mil-surp 308 for my rem700 xcr compact just to do a thorough shoot in. although yours is prolly much tighter than my rifle i would try shooting it a bit more before adjusting you die settings.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:49 AM   #10

A sharpie worked real well for marking the shell. I dropped it in, caught it with the bolt, and just giggled it. It looks like the whole chamber is uniform except a spot on the shoulder. I will try the shooting thing first, but I have a feeling the nice die set is in my near future.