Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Explanation of Operation Of Ithaca Model 49 Single Shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 02:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Explanation of Operation Of Ithaca Model 49 Single Shot

I changed the ejector it was worn, and reassembled rifle. I believe I did it properly. My question is what actually resets the ejector?. When you open the lever, you hit the trip bar with rolling block and the ejector opens. The block is down, you put a round in the chamber and pull lever up. Does the block reset the ejector? Is the ejector over the rim(of the bullet)? Is the rim over the ejector and they both get pushed in by the block. I ask this cause I don't have a round, or a dummy round (curse my bones I know) and the ejector doesn't reset empty. If I hold the bock half closed (since it aint holding the trip bar down) I can give the ejector a little "nudge" and it locks into the barrel properly. If I had a dummy round in there would that give it the extra "nudge". I'm very curious since I thought I had the operation of this firearm down pat in my head. Apparently I do not.

Frank Saputo
Saputo Arms & Repair
West Lafayette, IN 47906

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

I don't have a 49 at hand, but I do have a genuine Martini and it sounds like your 49 operates the same way. When you push the lever all the way down, it pushes on the extractor and the case is extracted. If you release the lever, the block raises slightly and releases the extractor. Loading a round will push the extractor flush with the barrel (rim over extractor) and you can close the block.