Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Experience with Gunsmithing Schools? Please share!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Experience with Gunsmithing Schools? Please share!

Hi there, I am working for a site called Gunsmithing Schools HQ which is aimed at helping people to find suitable gunsmithing schools. At the moment it's pretty basic and we want to improve it by adding interviews or at least feedback from actual gunsmiths or gunsmithing students so if you're either and have a strong view about gunsmithing schools we'd love to hear from you.

Some questions we'd like to get to:

- what do you learn at gunsmithing school
- what do you still need to learn after gunsmithing school
- what makes a good gunsmith
- what does a gunsmith earn when starting out
- what does a good gunsmith earn working for himself
- what is the most common work for a gunsmith
- why did you choose this school to learn / teach gunsmithing

Looking forward to any feedback!

Thanks,

Joe DS

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #2

I found this on google and thought I'd share my two cents.

I had a pretty good experience doing a correspondence/distance learning gun school, earning a diploma in the trade.

I went through 6 different 'instructions' which included everything from metallurgy, gun history, types of guns, etc. It was really a crash course in lot of info that I already knew but a lot that I thought I did but didn't really..

The problem with this kind of course is nothing beats hands on work with actual guns, but I already had a lot of that so I assume that once I get an apprenticeship or something like it I would be way ahead of the curve. I am kind of guessing that a lot of what I actually learned is a lot of technical stuff that even gunsmiths might not know offhand.

I would recommend doing this if you can't do a physical apprenticeship right off the bat, but it might be best to go the route of doing that if you can.

I didn't try to look for jobs yet but again, nothing beats a hands on training if you can get it. I know a lot more than I did though.

I found the gun course I took at http://www.smartschoolfinder.com/guide/gunsmithing-schools and I'm sure there are others out there. The name of the course I took was penn foster. Hope that helps.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
I am the Fanman

Liked 403 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I too am in the Penn Foster program. I'm on my last block. It's not a bad program for getting feet wet and getting some decent info but, with lack of real hands on opportunities. I've created a few with purchases and the help of very understanding friends, but if I had no experience with mechanical repair I would have been lost. In the end I'll not feel like any more of a gunsmith than I do now but I do know there's more for me to learn and hope it will help me find an opportunity to become one. I'm not sure if I'd do this program again but can't say I regret taking it either.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James