Essex
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Essex

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Essex

Has anybody ever built a 1911 using an Essex slide and receiver? I think it would be an interesting project, but more expensive than just buying a factory gun.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #2

ESSEX are of acceptable tolerences for a basic US made 1911 frame and slide. Not real tight tolerences but fine to build a basic 1911 shooter.

Probably cheaper to buy a RIA 1911 complete.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Essex

I've used essex arms as basis to build several full custom 1911s, The thing to remember is it takes a pro to build a full custom from a bare frame/slide considering that it takes years of experience to be able to extract the most from handfitting and componet selection. After being at it for a good while,you'll learn to do it by feel that no book can teach you.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:52 AM   #4

I work in the town where Essex Arms is located. I have seen their stuff and their facility and would say it is a little above "acceptable", but it's certainly of much better quality than RIA. My opinion.