Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Enfield headspace issue (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/enfield-headspace-issue-68785/)

mountainman13 07-23-2012 05:24 PM

Enfield headspace issue

As you guys know I recently picked up an Enfield for $100. Well the extractor was beat and I reworked it. I still couldn't get it to extract a round. I assumed it was the burr in the chamber. I polished it out and the damn thing still won't extract a fired round. I finally smartened up and took a set of calipers to a fired and unfired round. The shoulder is off by .006!!!
How much of a nightmare is it to headspace and Enfield? I'm about ready to pull the firing pin and call it a decoration.

44magmike 07-23-2012 06:28 PM

I have a model 4 mark 1 enfield to fix your headspace problem you have to replace the bolthead.. It just unscrews from the bolt.. You probably need a #2 or 3 bolthead( they are stamped on the bolthead) if there is already a #3 on there then its a trip to the gun doctor.. You can get replacement boltheads from numrich or sarco.. If memory serves me right each increase in number size tightens up the headspace by .002 .. My rifle was spliting the case about a 1/2 above the rim.. Put a #2 bolthead on there and it fixed the problem.. Hope that helps

The_Kid 07-23-2012 06:31 PM

I assume it is a 303 which headspaces on the rim.
If the actual headspace is actually ok; fireform your cases, then necksize only.
Consider it a wildcat.

mountainman13 07-23-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 44magmike
I have a model 4 mark 1 enfield to fix your headspace problem you have to replace the bolthead.. It just unscrews from the bolt.. You probably need a #2 or 3 bolthead( they are stamped on the bolthead) if there is already a #3 on there then its a trip to the gun doctor.. You can get replacement boltheads from numrich or sarco.. If memory serves me right each increase in number size tightens up the headspace by .002 .. My rifle was spliting the case about a 1/2 above the rim.. Put a #2 bolthead on there and it fixed the problem.. Hope that helps

Yeah that sounds like good news. It's a no 4 mk 1. The current bolt head is .631 if there was a number on it , its not legible anymore. I'll check numrich hopefully they list the dimensions on them.

44magmike 07-23-2012 06:48 PM

Mountainman 13 .. Yeah it should be a number on that bolthead somewhere, im not home or id send you a pic of where its at on mine. The number was very small. If the bolthead is really loose on the boltthreads then it needs replaced.

mountainman13 07-23-2012 07:04 PM

Lol. I called numrich all they have in stock is a size zero which they said is .887 which would be .255 longer lol. Obviously didn't understand where I wanted them to measure from. Assuming they measured from the bottom of the threads to the face its about .002 bigger than mine. Figuring for a +/- .001 error on their end it just might work.

mountainman13 07-23-2012 08:28 PM

I shimmed the round .004 and round chambered just fine. I'll probably order the size 0 and hopefully the .002 difference will be enough to cut back on the stretching and allow me to cycle the damn thing. Thanks for the help guys.

vagunsmith 07-24-2012 10:50 PM

I have two heads in my shop. I can check those tomorrow evening and measure them.

robocop10mm 07-24-2012 11:05 PM

The #2 and #3 bolt heads used to be quite available. I am surprised no one is making new replacements as many Enfields as there are.

mountainman13 07-24-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vagunsmith
I have two heads in my shop. I can check those tomorrow evening and measure them.

Cool let me know what you come up with thanks.