Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > ejector problems .308 Savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ejector problems .308 Savage

I own a .308 Savage tactical, Bolt action. it won't eject the shells. The ejector rod seems like it is too soft [I can push it in with my finger] I'm not sure how to get to the spring. Can anyone help? I don't want to send it back to Savage. Unless I have to.
Bill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I assume it's under warranty I'd recommend sending it back to Savage 1st. Since you don't want to do that, and you're not wanting to disassemble your bolt, Take it to your local smith to fix. It's not a major job and your local gunsmith's service should be much faster than sending it back to the factory.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #3

Bear,Thanks for the advice. Savage wants me to send the rifle back to them. Instead of just the bolt. It is under warranty. What a pain in the rear!
Bill

Old 03-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #4

I'd look closely at what is happening. See exactly what the cartridge is doing, is it hanging up? The ejector should be somewhat stiff to push and move freely. Could be a bad spring or the pin binding. They are easy to get out.
A new spring, pin can be ordered from World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells for less than $10.00 including shipping. Look on the left side of the main page, they have schmatics, just pick the correct one for your rifle and order the parts right from the schmatic number.
Be sure the cartridge fits the bolt head correctly, if not, send it back, but I'd check it out before sending it back, it may be a simple fix and packaging, shipping costs etc are a pain in the rear.

John K

Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #5

Just an update, I sent it back to Savage and they called me. They told me there was blow by and it had ruined the bolt! I have been using .308 Federal Sierra Match king 168 gr ammo. Except for 40 rounds that were reloads.
Im not sure, but the shell casing may have been 7.62x51mm. Could this be what happened?
Bill