Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Dry Fire and Slide Releases (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/dry-fire-slide-releases-103154/)

renoboyd 01-23-2014 03:10 AM

Dry Fire and Slide Releases

So I preface my question with this;

I am directing this question to the experts here. Please, I have heard forever from enthusiasts, I truly need to ask this of the gunsmiths who have SEEN PERSONALLY the answer to my question. And prefacing that I have been shooting handguns for decades now. It was and is my understanding that modern centerfire handguns can be dry fired, and slides can be released dry (without ammo) by use of the release lever without consequence or harm to the gun. I understand there is a limit to this, I dont mean forever, like 100k times, but within practice drills. Has anyone seen damage caused by doing either of these? If so can you share what you saw? I dry practice now and then, and had "an enthusiast" get severely tweeked as I did, saying that it will (not might, not over time) damage the gun to dry fire it, and will damage the gun to release the slide lever without ammo in it...:confused:

hmh 01-23-2014 03:56 AM

I am not a gun smith but many of the gun smiths on here will agree it depends on the gun. I had a Beretta tomcat that the firing pin broke because of minimal dry firing. I also have a 1911 that I have dry fired many times with no issue.

danf_fl 01-23-2014 09:22 AM

I've replaced enough parts that I don't let the slide slam forward without a round ready to go into the chamber (on any semi-auto).

I've dressed many slide stop areas on slides because people have used the stop as a release.

I use to tell my kid, "Just because you can do it, does it make it right?".

mountainman13 01-23-2014 12:42 PM

These functions are designed to include a round. Not having one puts added stress on Parts.
How quickly this will have a negative affect depends on the gun.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

renoboyd 01-23-2014 02:51 PM

So, I have taken many handgun training courses, every one of them uses dry fire practice (including the dry slide release). I take it that each of you would agree that the dry fire practice can and likely does damage to the gun?

mountainman13 01-23-2014 02:54 PM

Snap caps were made for a reason.

Gonzilla 01-23-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1489498)
Snap caps were made for a reason.

Agree - Cheap insurance against Murphy's Law :D

Mercator 01-23-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renoboyd (Post 1489495)
So, I have taken many handgun training courses, every one of them uses dry fire practice (including the dry slide release). I take it that each of you would agree that the dry fire practice can and likely does damage to the gun?

Dry firing a modern centerfire semi-auto is safe. Snap caps are not required, but they are handy in testing the cycle (feeding and ejection). I have heard personally from trained professionals that they dry fire their own handguns thousands of times at home for practice. I don't do that because I don't feel the need and it is boring as heck.

Safe does not mean accident-proof. I don't know of any evidence that guns break down from dry firing any more than from firing live ammo.

danf_fl 01-23-2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1489620)
Dry firing a modern centerfire semi-auto is safe. Snap caps are not required, but they are handy in testing the cycle (feeding and ejection). I have heard personally from trained professionals that they dry fire their own handguns thousands of times at home for practice. I don't do that because I don't feel the need and it is boring as heck.

Safe does not mean accident-proof. I don't know of any evidence that guns break down from dry firing any more than from firing live ammo.

Some firearms require something like a snap cap or live round to stop the firing ping from going too far forward.

Grab a rim fire .22 SA revolver and dry fire 100 times.

Mercator 01-23-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1489629)
Some firearms require something like a snap cap or live round to stop the firing ping from going too far forward.

Grab a rim fire .22 SA revolver and dry fire 100 times.

I wrote center fire.