Drilling and Taping a scope base for the first time
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Drilling and Taping a scope base for the first time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Drilling and Taping a scope base for the first time

All,
I am going to try my hand at drilling and taping a scope base to my SKS rifle. Some questions I hope you all can help me with are below:

Does anyone have any tips?

What type of tools are required - I planned to use a bench top drill press to make the wholes, i just purchased one for this project specifically. What else may be required?

Can anyone recommend some test material to try the drilling first so I at least can verify I can do it?

Does anyone have any other general advice?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #2

Liked 724 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Well at least you are doing your first job on an inexpensive rifle. Do you know where to mount the base? When you know the spot to put it you can put thin double sided tape on the base and use the base for your drill guide. You know that it has to be very straight and in-line with the rifle bore. If it is even a little off you will most likely not have enough adjustment in the scope to sight it in. OK enough scare talk. It always good to see someone do things for themselves. So have at it. Do you have the correct drill and tap? Most bases use 6-48 screws(#31 drill) or 8-40 screws(#28 drill). I have both and if you bring your rifle over you can use my drill press.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #3

Liked 719 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 744

Don't drill through the chamber!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.