DPMS LR308 Upgrade Problems - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > DPMS LR308 Upgrade Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 02:32 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Have you checked the compatibility of your upgrade parts with the LR-308? There are differences not only between the Armalite and DPMS patterns but between manufacturers.

http://308ar.com/compatibility.htm
I'm almost positive all the parts match. I ordered them at the beginning of the year, but I vividly remember making sure they were all DPMS. Especially because I took a stock LR308 and started rebuilding it.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #12

Liked 2215 Times on 1301 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Close.

Take it to 30. Back off a turn, then take it to the next opening, not exceeding 80#.
Your wording is much more clear than mine. Thanks for not letting me lead him astray with vaguely worded advice.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

For anyone who posted here trying to help, or anyone who may read this thread having similar issues, this problem was solved many months ago. I forgot about my thread, but I figure I should let everyone know what was wrong.

I ordered the Midwest Industries two-piece aluminum forend from Brownells. Before I ordered I emailed them asking if the forend would fit my DPMS LR-308 AP4. They said that it would. By the end of this thread I was so insanely frustrated that I took it to my local 'smith.

Turns out the forend is for a standard AR-15, which actually takes a very slightly longer carbine sized forend. This is my first actual problem with Brownells, but considering years of great service, I can't hold it against them. I've decided to keep the forend for a later AR build.

CASE CLOSED!

Old 02-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Update: Case not closed!

It looks like I have spoken too soon, folks. Sorry about that.

Just got my new LR-308 carbine-length forend in. It's exactly the same as the previous one, minus the small rail extension. Same fitting length and all.

I'm beyond stumped on this and I'm going to take it to my local 'smith. I'll be able to update you all on this again in a few weeks.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:48 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5738 Times on 2997 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Call midwest industries tell em what's going on they will sort it out speedy fast. Great bunch of folks to deal with. I live 20 miles from their shop.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Call midwest industries tell em what's going on they will sort it out speedy fast. Great bunch of folks to deal with. I live 20 miles from their shop.
Thanks JonM! I'll see what I can't find out.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:06 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default LR-308 AP4 Upgrade Problem, Officially SOLVED

My local gunsmith and I put our heads together and after much deliberation were able to determine that two-piece handguards of this type are being advertised as "LR-308 compatible", but are in fact only for certain LR-308 models such as the LR-308 Sportical (PM me if you'd like to know who is 'misleadingly advertising').

These will NOT fit the LR-308 AP4, which is a "Free-Float ONLY Platform". There are free-float hanguards/forends on the market for the AP4, so I'll just have to end up buying a one tailored for my gun.

Anyone know a good place to sell gun parts? I've got a few extras now

Old 05-29-2014, 02:22 AM   #18

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

That suks, but glad you got the problem sorted.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:59 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

You possibly need to index the tube to fit with the nut. I need some more detailed pictures.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 05-29-2014, 03:00 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Well nevermind!!! Looks like you got it figured out. Try Ebay or gun broker to sell the parts!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...