Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Double barrel shotgun headspace (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/double-barrel-shotgun-headspace-51409/)

superc 11-08-2011 04:16 AM

Double barrel shotgun headspace

Okay, I am now out of the arena of what I know.

I have an old Stevens 311. As some may know about 20+ years ago I cut the barrel down to 20 inches and used it as my 'bump in the night' gun. Added a sling and stuck a fiber optic front sight on it the first chance I got. Amazing how often the sight of it calmed things down.

With my retirement from law enforcement I hunted for years for a full size 28 inch barrel for it. Got one this week. Now I have two barrel sets for the 0ld 311.

Problem, the 'new' 28 inch barrel is a very tight fit. With it the gun must be opened over my knee, and some force is required to close it.

My goal is to have the new barrel just as sweet to close and open as the old one, without losing the easy opening and easy closing of the old one.

How then is the headspace or barrel fit on a double barrel shotgun adjusted?

masterPsmith 11-08-2011 02:22 PM

I would suggest you take it to a good gunsmith who has the expertise to fit the barrels for you. They are few and far between. It takes knowledge and skill to fit them properly. As far as headspace, if too great, requires reaming and the use of headspace ring inserts. Another job for your gunsmith.

Jim...............

hiwall 11-08-2011 05:27 PM

I fully agree with masterPsmith. This is one time where you need a professional.

Sarge22 11-08-2011 10:39 PM

Not headspace. The hinge pin has seated good with the old barrel set. Definitely a gunsmith thing, but most won't touch the job. Order from Midway USA their "Gunsmithing English Shotguns" DVD. Tells how to in there, if you up to it.

superc 11-10-2011 01:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sarge22; I thank you. Usable advice.

I have gone to Midway and ordered the, "Gunsmithing British Side by Side Shotguns with John F. 'Jack' Rowe and Larry Potterfield" DVD.

From the reviews and the description it looks like exactly what I will need. I will advise if it helps.

Below is the home made Coach barrel, the 'new' optional field barrel and the Stevens 311 receiver. Going from one barrel set to the other takes well less than a minute.

Sarge22 11-10-2011 08:16 AM

I'm glad I could be of help. Always loved double guns. When I finish with smithin' school this spring and set up shop, I'm going to be specializing in them.

Axxe55 11-13-2011 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superc (Post 623748)
Sarge22; I thank you. Usable advice.

I have gone to Midway and ordered the, "Gunsmithing British Side by Side Shotguns with John F. 'Jack' Rowe and Larry Potterfield" DVD.

From the reviews and the description it looks like exactly what I will need. I will advise if it helps.

Below is the home made Coach barrel, the 'new' optional field barrel and the Stevens 311 receiver. Going from one barrel set to the other takes well less than a minute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarge22 (Post 624008)
I'm glad I could be of help. Always loved double guns. When I finish with smithin' school this spring and set up shop, I'm going to be specializing in them.

i can see where that would be an attention getter! good luck on getting it fixed to suit you. like sarge22, i still like the old sxs shotguns.

sarge22, good luck to you when you finish school and good luck with getting a shop going. gotta love the old shotguns. my dad has an old 410 sxs!

superc 11-13-2011 05:52 PM

I honestly believe pointing it prevented my having to shoot someone with the issued pistol at least twice. One individual, after a frozen second of standoff at 10 feet, him with an RG 22 and me with that, just said okay, and laid it down. Similar with someone else who had been coming at me with a buck pocket knife till he realized what was suddenly pointing at his head and sanity overcame his alcohol. Times and departmental attitudes changed and after about a decade of sitting on my patrol seat under a towel it became a no-no to carry non-issue weapons. By then I was plain clothes and an issue 870 replaced it when needed.

JonM 11-13-2011 07:54 PM

thats a shame you had to replace it. nothing wakes people up like a good old fashioned double. its got a sobering look that echoes to the inner workings of goblins

spektr 11-17-2011 04:11 AM

This is a fairly simple task. Its all about fitting the hook on the new barell set to the
hinge pin.. Go To Midways website and watch the 3 minute video on setting a shotgun on face.
Not the same symptoms, but the same process as far as filing the hook is concerned. You wont need to reset headspace if you get lockup now with saami std shells loaded.