Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Don't cut .308 AR barrels..!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/dont-cut-308-ar-barrels-53894/)

ANGRYcanary 12-21-2011 12:57 AM

Don't cut .308 AR barrels..!!!

O.k. folks... you see, I couldn't resist. Hello..? Who's knocking at my door..?

E P I C F A I L U R E ! ! ! :rolleyes:

That's right Bob, tell him what he's won..!!!
Well it was a fantastic, and I mean H U G E fireball, followed by the next round N O T being picked up from the magazine. The next sound I heard was the loudest "click" in the world. I knew exactly what had just occurred. I was not quite devastated though, at least, not till I looked and saw that there wasn't even enough timing charge to begin to eject the prior casing (still in the chamber..!). I would Highly recommend that if you choose to do this you look up the timing length from the gas port hole to the M U Z Z L E. I cut 4.75 inches off. Or just order yourself the barrel you wanted from the beginning. On a better note, all the polishing and filing and spring changing I performed on the trigger and hammer assy. have paid off, it is smoother than oil on glass, the pull is still high though, well, just over 7 pounds, according to the trigger pull scale. The "adjustments" made to the buffer tube have made it silent, but I don't think it changed the amount of "felt" recoil to my shoulder, I should probably just buy the hydraulic recoil buffer though..? Any suggestions..? The reason I'm doing all of this is just purely my own skepticism and search for personal AR-enlightenment... Before I build the Armalite...

:cool:

trip286 12-21-2011 01:09 AM

Man, I was skeptical about that project... but I don't know enough about smithing AR's that I felt I could say anything. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but on the upside, Hey, you did a good job with it and it looks sharp as hell.

danf_fl 12-21-2011 01:27 AM

Sorry about that. :(

Now you have been introduced to the "other" side of gunsmithing. ;)
But write it up as a lesson learned and fix it the way you want.

That's a tough way to learn, but not as bad as some other mistakes I, er, I mean, others have done.

(Would you have left it as it was if someone said not to cut it?)

ANGRYcanary 12-21-2011 02:19 AM

Thanks guys..! It's cool, well it's o.k... I'm saaaadd !!! but I'm not pissed at myself anymore...sort of a little maybe..?
The barrel to replace it was already ordered. A Varmint thick, 20 inch, I got the threaded end for the same price that way I don't screw up trying that little trick, haha.

trip.."Hey, you did a good job with it and it looks sharp as hell." Cool !! Thanks, longer way to go now, right..!

danf.."That's a tough way to learn, but not as bad as some other mistakes I, er, I mean, others have done." Haha... I'm surprised the buffer tube didn't explode or something..! haha I had it apart on the coffee table and replaced those black rubber discs with some very squishy aircraft rubber.

(Would you have left it as it was if someone said not to cut it?) Hahaha, admittedly... Um, hmm, no. I know, I know. But I had to try it...

fmj 12-21-2011 01:44 PM

not sure WHY one would want to cut a barrel on a rifle in the first place. Longer barrel = more energy and better distance accuracy.:confused:

ANGRYcanary 12-21-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 656821)
not sure WHY one would want to cut a barrel on a rifle in the first place. Longer barrel = more energy and better distance accuracy.:confused:

Longer barrels don't necessarily equate to better accuracy, thicker barrels do, because thicker barrels are less prone to the pulses produced by firing of the weapon. Longer barrels assure better burn times for the powder charge (thus the reason for the huge fireball). can we not have this discussion again, it's not why I posted this. This is a post to give an example that the gas port needs to have correct timing length to the muzzle. I just happen to like short barrels. Thanks for your opinion though.

Catfish 12-21-2011 05:50 PM

The AR is gas operated and by cutting off that much of the barrel you are not maintaining enough presure to cycle the action.

ANGRYcanary 12-21-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 656984)
The AR is gas operated and by cutting off that much of the barrel you are not maintaining enough presure to cycle the action.

Did you even look at the beginning of this post...

Yeah, I know how an AR system works. That's why I put up a post 10 days ago to find out if leaving 3.25 inches between the gas block and muzzle, would still give the barrel enough timing between the gas block and the muzzle to keep the pressure high enough. When no one answered with a solid definitive yes, no, here's a chart to look look at or even a link, I ordered a new 20 inch barrel, and cut the old one off. The result, I wanted for myself, had to be found out and authenticated by myself. I was just trying to post results so in the future people would be able to say, FIND A CHART, but if you cut down a 20" to 16", it had better have a mid length gas port. Don't worry folks, it won't happen again. A better experiment would have been for me to take off an inch at a time, and document it on video. Then get a patent, on the video, then post it, then you could not watch the video, and tell me after it's posted that it won't work. Yeah, that's what I'll do next time.

orangello 12-21-2011 07:56 PM

They really let you have an AR, much less in .308 in sillinois? Are you friends with the governor or something?

ANGRYcanary 12-21-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 657041)
They really let you have an AR, much less in .308 in sillinois? Are you friends with the governor or something?

I know right... Thank God for small miracles...